Filehippo Update Checker

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Jul 13, 2012.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    Has anyone noticed that this program scans and reports that Recuva 64 byte is in need of upgrading yet when I check the program it is the same version as the recommended one.
    I have uninstalled it but it does the same thing.
    It appears the program is not functioning as it should.
    Shy of installing another update program, what should I do to rectify or check up on this?
    Thank you

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Re: Filehippo Update Checker

I stopped using the File Hippo Update Checker a while ago; because the program does not actually scan for as many programs as some others available out there (such as Secunia, for example). Another HUGE negative was when I discovered that the Update Checker will only check programs available for download from FileHippo.com. Other than that, another (somewhat minor) problem that I had with this app was that the "Settings" link is only available while the scan runs. And finally, I also had problems with the number of false positives such as the one you experienced with Recuva.

Anyway like I said earlier, I used to use that Update Checker program; but I more recently switched to Secunia Personal Software Inspector.

After a pretty fairly prompt scan of my 1TB computer systems, a link then appears next to each item in the list which allows me quick access the available to either 'direct' updates, or I can simply go to the program itself (or the developers website) in order to to update them individually; which is my preferred method, actually. I also like the fact that the Secunia program can be set to sit in the taskbar and either run each time the computer starts or whenever I want to run it (occasionally, I mean).

Good Luck! -- COMP

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi compuable.

We had an earlier conversation about this and some pros and cons of Secunia were mentioned.

Like you, I prefer to handle updates manually.

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Like you, I prefer to handle updates manually <<

Hi back'acha mjnc... ;)

I totally agree that any 'suggested' program updates (especially 'major' updates or application upgrades) should be 'handled manually' regardless of whatever 'update helper' is used.

It is my belief that; while many of these 'we'll help keep your applications updated' utilities are very helpful and useful; in my experience, nothing beats going directly to the program developers' home site in order to accomplish this task. As I mentioned before, the biggest negative about the OP's original application inquiry, was the fact that I eventually discovered that the 'File Hippo Update Checker' program will only check programs available for download from FileHippo.com. That was the deal breaker for me...

Good Luck! -- COMP

5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

That is how I remember it but since I never used it and have not checked it lately, I could not confirm that.

That's what it was designed to do, as an added convenience for users of that site.

6. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Recuva updated to v1.43.623 earlier this week; is this the version you have?

7. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

8. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

I think it's a form of typo that is creating the problem, when I run FileHippo Update checker I get the following result
    I know my Recuva is the latest version and it says 1.43.0.623 when I hover over it, so it looks like somehow the 0 is missing from the version number at FileHippo

I use the Portable version and you will see that it is also listed at Majorgeeks as 1.43.623 without the 0

http://majorgeeks.com/Recuva_-_File_Recovery_d5514.html

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

The apps mentioned I have used over the years and to be honest none are better or worse than each other, these apps have a small part to play in daily computing as they do alert the user to updates for said applications installed.

Some apps in this ilk are better than others and both File Hippo and Secunia are two of the better ones and I would urge towards Secunia as they are a security concious company. The latest version 3 of their app is very good.

But one think to note with some updater apps is that they do not always get thing right so may say that you have an update when their is none! so again Secunia is the more accurate I have found, manual updating will never loose its place but when we have to update 20+ apps checking each one is a pain, so these apps do I feel come in handy.

caveate to this is driver updater apps as they are useless.

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Yes, that is what I have on both pcs and it flags both pcs.

11. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I thought the update checker did just that- update, while Secunia checked for vulnerabilities - am I wrong.
    I have used Secunia for over 10 years with no trouble.
    I just started with Filehippo's update checker and it is wrong about recuva.
    Also, Revo cannot uninstall it as it is an app and not a program, I guess.
    Back to just Secunia I believe.
    Btw, I only use it to be advised a vulnerability is possible, but check out the program myself.

12. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You said in another thread that you had tried Secunia v3 and immediately uninstalled it. Care to explain exactly why, as I have found it a considerable improvement on v2 and have updated all the comps here to it, no issues whatsoever?

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I tried PSI 3.0 and did not like it. I have reinstalled 2.0, on Maurice's advice. He is either an admin or an advisor there and has been for a long time. Good guy and big help.
    I have read many places where a lot of people were disappointed with the new Secunia and reinstalled 2.0 as I did.

When the program(2.0) opens, click on 'learn more' and then 'community/forums'. Under the big paragraph, see community and click on it. I am a member and they have been a big help in the past.
    You will likely see the disgruntled 3.0 users.

14. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

OK, you just don't like it - that's fair enough and happens all the time with new versions of software. I had assumed you must have had specific issues with it to go to the trouble of uninstalling it.

15. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>The moment I clicked send, it dawned upon me that I did not answer your question which is not polite at all.
    Because some time has gone by I can not remember specifics but it seemed to be awkward and confusing compare to 2.0. I was assured 2.0 would be supported.
    Sorry about the omission.

16. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I made an error in that it is Recuva that Revo cannot uninstall not FileHippo.

17. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi peterr.

Did you ever check out Patch My PC ?
    I posted the MG download link and a review link HERE.

It was just before you had the power failure, so maybe you missed it.

It works very fast.
    In addition to the "Common" software it always checks, there are a couple dozen others that can be checked by selecting them
    on the "Other" tab.

18. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi mjnc
    I did see that but forgot -sorry. I will take a look at it and thank you.
    peter

19. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

HI MJNC
    I was too late to edit so I have to reply.
    Am I mistaken or does secunia basically do what Patch MY PC does?
    There is a fine line here.
    Secunia does check for end of life, vulnerabilities and out of date programs.
    Does the other program significantly do more?
    If it is one or the other I would use Secunia but if Patch My PC is really different I would use the two programs. Sometimes you can't tell until it is installed.

20. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

NO, they are Not the same.
    Secunia Only checks installations that typically have Security issues.
    Secunia does Not check other software for updates.

Patch My PC Does check Some installations that typically have Security issues, but Also checks other common software.

Secunia is of course the most important, but Patch My PC is also very helpful since it checks software that Secunia does not.
    I'm currently using both.

21. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I understand and thank you for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds