Files Appeared on Desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by nautilus global, Dec 7, 2010.

1. nautilus global

nautilus global Private E-2

mc23dl_vista32_drvr_eng and 23d_32_e.exe and desktop.ini have appeared on my desktop. What are they and where do they belong? I just removed trojan malware with MJ so I don't think they are malware. Why does this happen?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you have a Konica/Minolta Magicolor 2300DL ? if you do those files belong to that driver and likey part of a driver download, so if the device works ok, the you can delete the first two files.

Desktop.ini is normal for Windows and basically is the icon layout of the icons and positions (similar when you see this in a folder as this file is used to store the data for customised folders, as you may have changed the default icon, the view layout etc) you have them on your desktop, this is normally a hidden file, so in any folder click Tools > Folder Options > View and tick the Do not show hidden files and folders and Hide protected operating system files (recommended) options and click OK/Apply

Why it happens is that you unhid the system files and hidden files and folders, this step fo unhiding files and folders can be part of malware removal processes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds