Files On Hard Drive Borked On Transfer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Armitage112, May 10, 2016.

1. Armitage112

Armitage112 Private E-2

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. My Gateway NE56R12U laptop was dying, so I had my local geek transfer all my files from the old hard drive to my new one. However, a lot of my files are not only missing, some of them are incomplete. I'm mainly concerned about my music files--entire songs have transferred as mere sound bytes, only a few seconds long. Why did this happen, and can my original files (MP3s) still be saved? Thanks in advance!

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You need to hook up to the old drive again and see what is on there.

3. Armitage112

Armitage112 Private E-2

Can you please tell me how to do that? What kind of cables, etc do I need? Thanks!

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Was this a business this "local geek" worked for? If so, tell him you want your money back.

As far as you being able to recover any data on the old drive, that depends on the condition of the old drive. Beyond that, you need to know what type of drive it is. The label should indicate if SATA or EIDE. Then you can get a SATA/EIDE to USB adapter.

Eldon likes this.
  5. Armitage112

Armitage112 Private E-2

No, just a friend who has his own business. He's kinda far, though, so I was hoping to do this myself. Thanks for the info!

6. Digerati

Well, whether he charged you or not, I still think he should be told he did not provide satisfactory results - as a friend if he didn't charge you, and as a customer if he did.

7. Armitage112

Armitage112 Private E-2

Thanks again for the help. I can't tell from this label what kind of hard drive this is. Can you please help?

Attached Files:

8. Digerati

9. Armitage112

Armitage112 Private E-2

No, YOU. As in, YOU are my friend! Thanks again!! :D

10. Digerati

Hey, you can have two friends! ;)

11. Armitage112

Armitage112 Private E-2

I got the cords in the mail today and I hooked up my hard drive, but I don't see any of my old MP3s on there! Is it possible they're still on my old laptop?

12. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

I think what you need to do is run some recovery software to recover the files that can't be seen. I hope someone with knowledge of such will point you in the right direction.
    Good luck with the journey,
    s.

13. Digerati

I've had good luck with Recuva from the makers of CCleaner. That said, it is not likely you will be able to recover them all (or even any!). Missing files have a better chance of recovery than corrupt/damaged files. Since Recuva is free for home users, it is worth a try.

14. Armitage112

Armitage112 Private E-2

Thanks so much for all the advice. Recuva didn't work for me, so I downloaded Wise Data Recovery from here, and it was AMAZING! I'm sure I got more stuff off my old hard drive than my PC guy did, and in less time. And best of all, I GOT ALL MY MUSIC BACK!!! :D:D:D Everything else is gravy at this point. I can't thank you guys enough for your wise counsel and the link to cables I needed (I never would have figured that out on my own). Geeks rule!!

15. Digerati

Odd that Recuva didn't help but Wise did. Either way, I am glad it worked and at this point, you are happy. Thanks for the followup.

16. Armitage112

Armitage112 Private E-2

Hi again! You guys were so wonderful helping me out last time, I was hoping if I could please impose upon your knowledge once again? I had an older desktop PC that I managed to get the hard drive out of, and I was wondering if you could please tell me what kind of cables I need to get so I can hook it up and get the info off it (like last time). I can't use the other cables 'cause this hard drive is bigger. Thanks in advance! :)

Attached Files:

17. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

That's an IDE HDD. You need an IDE to USB connector.

18. Armitage112

Armitage112 Private E-2

Thank you! Can someone please provide a link to an example of what I need? The listings on Amazon are confusing to me--I don't see a power cord option for the IDE to USB connectors like there was for the other connector? Thanks again!

19. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

20. Armitage112

Armitage112 Private E-2

Great--thanks again! I'll let you know how it goes when the cables get here.

Stephen_c16 likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds