Files with no file extensions?

Discussion in 'Software' started by youreweeird, May 19, 2007.

1. youreweeird

youreweeird Private E-2

I have no idea what's going on here. I'm running Windows Vista.

In my Computer folder, there are these files(folders?) that have no file extensions, no names, and I can't delete them (no context menu, and nothing happens when I press delete on my keyboard while they're highlighted).

Also, the other files show up twice. I.e. two Documents folders, two Pictures folders, etc. Double clicking on either of the doubles opens up the same folder.

I've attached a screenshot of it.

p.s. I hope someone can help me. I've tried other forums, but after many bumps, I gave up on them.

Attached Files:

2. youreweeird

youreweeird Private E-2

Here's what someone suggested in another forum I posted in:

I followed what was suggested and replied but after no response and a few bumps, I'm trying this forum. The link to the complete thread is here:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=556895&st=0

Hope this info helps.

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Windows default is to hide the files extensions for known files. If this was Win98 I could tell you where to click, but I'm still learing XP. All I can say is it is out there. On Win98 it is usually in the "settings and.../ taskbar/ folder options", one of the choices are "hide known extensions", they figure the graphic replaces it.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You can see that froma ll the duplicate folders there that these arent actual files though. Duplicate folders cannot exist side by side in Windows, if they have the same name.

These aren't actual folders and files. I tend to agree that they are probably shell extensions.

5. youreweeird

youreweeird Private E-2

Is there a way to fix broken shell extension? I've tried Registry Mechanic, but it didn't have any effect on the problem.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The easiest is system restore to before it happened.

7. youreweeird

youreweeird Private E-2

Is there a less than easy way? I don't have any system restore points before it happened (quite awhile ago). It was suggested that it has something to do with the registry, so is there anything I can do in there to clean up the mess?

8. youreweeird

youreweeird Private E-2

9. youreweeird

youreweeird Private E-2

bump.

Just wondering.. if there isn't anyone here who's able to solve my problem, is there a more appropriate place I could post or ask to receive help?

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I dont know of a more appropriate place, but if you find a decent answer, I'd love to hear it.

There may be a fix, but its not fun, its not friendly, and its certainly risky.

You can go through the registry and manually remove the duplicate shell extensions, and remove the bogus ones as well. If you delete the wrong things though...catch my drift? I just dont know of an application that will do it for you.

there is this as well, for a more visual environment;

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

To be honest, I'm not sure if shell extensions are the key here. This is the first time I've seen this problem, ever, and I have to wonder if its new to Vista, considering how much I've worked on XP without ever running into it.

11. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

They are Icons, shortcuts to the actual file folder locations, rt. click on each duplicate folder and check out properties, if the Location is the same for each they are redundant and you should be able to delete one. Vista also has a "shadow" program to back up files that might cause this. What baffles me is the blank files, can you do anything at all with them or are the just there... no right click, properties or anything? What is the view like in safe mode? Sorry this is a totally new one to me, it almost looks as if Vista is installed twice on the same partition. Very unstable with XP, Vista? P2P can be trouble too, the girls use limewire and we have a good commercial anti virus/firewall installed, but I still worry. Be patient, some of the best in the business use this site, and should be able to help, and it is about 3:15 AM EST. More specifics about your computers, hardware, software, and any recent changes might help also. I am weird, but I will definitely watch this thread to see if you get help to the point of resolving the issue...the first things I usually suggest are a system file check and a disk check, but they probably don't apply here. Remember, patience is a virtue, and a virtue is a good thing.
    Bug
    :tas

12. youreweeird

youreweeird Private E-2

Actually, it seems that the double files are the same file that show up twice. Right clicking for the properties on either double brings up the same properties information. If I delete one, the double stays but double-clicking on it brings up the "location not available" error.

As for the blank files, they're just there. Double-clicking and right-clicking do nothing. Can't click-and-drag.

Comp Specs:
    Gateway Notebook MT6451
    AMD Turion 64 X2
    ~1G RAM
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    32-bit OS

I'm not sure what other info I should provide, but if there is more you need to know, feel free to ask. Sorry if it seemed I was being impatient. I was just worried that the thread would get lost in all the others and eventually be forgotten.. like my thread in another forum. Lol.

p.s. I very much appreciate everyones help.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, they are not traditional shortcuts.

I'm curious, do you have this problem in a new user account?

14. youreweeird

youreweeird Private E-2

Hmm.. interesting. There's been only my user account, so I created new accounts with both standard and administrator privileges. To my surprise, the problem does not occur in these new accounts.

Capture.JPG

I'm sure it would be great to figure out why the problem is occurring only in my user account, but should I just save everyone some grief and just stick with a new administrator account and transfer the files? Either way, the problem doesn't horribly bother me, so if any of you would like me to wait so we can find a solution to the problem, that's fine also.

Thanks for the idea, Adrynalyne.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, MS did make user accounts expendable...I'd just transfer your data, then remove the old user account and be done with it. Thats me, of course. Although you have made a discovery: The problem has now been narrowed down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER portion of the registry, most likely :D

Glad we have a solution, of sorts anyway. User specific issues I've found to be by far the most difficult to resolve.

16. youreweeird

youreweeird Private E-2

Great. I'll do just that.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

17. the_wayman

the_wayman Private E-2

i had the same problem when i relocated my document on another drive.
    i had two my documents. i just deleted the one pointing wong folder. it worked.

18. youreweeird

youreweeird Private E-2

Okay, problem. Spoke too soon. The problem is in other user accounts. But I've noticed that in these new accounts, both the double folders and the blank files are hidden and only appear when I enable viewing of hidden files and folders. The double folders/blank files of the main original account I started with are not hidden and enabling or disabling the viewing of hidden files/folders has no effect on them.

I'm wondering if this is being caused by something in the AppData Folder. When making a new user account, does the Application Data from one account transfer to the new one? My understanding is that only the "Roaming" applies to all. Is there a way to clear the application data? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to just delete the folders or if theres another way to do it.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hmmm, you may be right. All of the accounts start out with a vanilla appdata folder of their own, but if something installed caused it to modify the original template...

I'll play with XP tonight and see if I can find some answers. It cant be terribly different.

20. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've been hesitating to disrupt the flow of the thread because Adrynalyne is far more knowledgeable than me and I don't have any experience with Vista.

I just want to say that I had a blank icon in My Computer that took the place of Nero Scout icon when I disabled that program on an XP machine. I was unable to delete it, as you are, and just let it go. One day it just disappeared. I'm wondering if something like a chkdsk or a CCleaner_Issues scan may have fixed the problem (I don't run much else in the clean up department). Just a thought. I'd love to know where the blank icon originates.

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, Ive not had a chance to play with appdata yet. I hurt my ankle, so Ive not been on the PC much. Ill get to it this week though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds