finding memory type

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by harris24982, Jan 29, 2007.

1. harris24982

harris24982 Private First Class

hi
    i was wondering how i could find what memory a pc needs when the pc is not working?

i had a system given yesterday that is missing its memory the guy that gave me it dosent know what sort it should take

all it says on it is it came with 256mb of ddr

is there a way to find out ?

thanks

2. Robocrap

Robocrap Private E-2

There's a US company called MemoryX, who give free advice by e-mail or website on memory usage. I asked them about memory for my laptop and they were fantastic; came back with an immediate response, from there I ordered my stick and it was with me in the UK inside 5 days. Brilliant!

3. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

What type of Motherboard is it ?

The brand and model number should be written on the board

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

The required memory is related to the processor, not the motherboard.

If you are able remove the processor (you may only need to remove the heatsink) and post the serial number on the processor, this will identify it.
    In intel should have a number which starts with SL... on it.

make sure the pc is disconnected from the mains first

Studiot T

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Memory is motherboard reliant, as motherboard specs will tell you exactly the memory type/s it will support as well as what CPUs are supported.

The S Codes only tell you country and year/week of manufacture and what is the default speeds that Intel set for the CPU, which allows a user to see if a system builder has overclocked the CPU to miss-represent its true default speed, they can also be used to determin if a specific batch is better for overclocking than others.

6. harris24982

hi

i cant find a name on the board just says rev g so hopeing it still the original to the machine

on the case it says
    intel celeron 2.30Ghz

emachines 210

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

There that's told me! and I thought that you wanted to get a bog standard pc running, not get into hardware mods and overclocking.

Actually you have provided sufficient info if simplicity is your aim.

An E machines 2.3 Celeron (now we know the processor is intel not AMD - this eliminates hallf the worlds motherboards) has a 400 Mhz frontside bus. Some motherboards will require memory to be set in pairs but this is too sophisticated for E-machines so you should be Ok to buy a single (or more if you like) memory module. Check that the is a single key slightly off centre to fit the module in the correct way round.

You should look for PC3200 modules you can see pictures at the link below.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Affordable-Computer-PC-Components

E machines power supplies are low spec and fail easily, in my experience. DO NOT overclock without beefing this up.

Remember when working on a pc that modern motherboards are always live if connected to the mains so disconnect the mains.

happy memories

Studio T

8. harris24982

thanks for that

ye just wanting to get it running not overclock (just looking for something faster than my 7 year old slot 1 pentium 3 )

thats cheaper than i was expecting (thats good dont want to spend alot incase there is anything realy wrong with the pc)

your right about the power supply thats the reason he i had it given it went

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds