Finding Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trogan_1000, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

Hi! This is my first post here at majorgeeks.

I've recently setup a wireless network between a desktop pc and a laptop at home and all is working fine. The problem is that I can't seem to connect to a shared folder thats on the PC from the laptop and vice versa. I maybe doing something wrong but I've made sure the folders are shared etc but still no luck. The laptop and PC are both running Win XP Home SP2.
    I have another question about sharing a printer but i'l ask that after this is sorted.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks :)

2. killian_sh

killian_sh Private E-2

Are you running firewalls on the notebook and desktop?If so,check to see if you have them set up to allow network traffic.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

4. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

The desktop only has the SP2 firewall enabled.
    The laptop also has the SP2 firewall enabled along with Norton Internet Security. NIS is enabled to allow traffic.

Just to let you know, the desktop is in my bedroom while the laptop is in the living room.

It doesn't make sence to me coz the laptop cant seem to find the network.

What should I do? Thanks for your help

5. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

Thanks for the link. I'm reading it now ;)

6. criminelis

criminelis Corporal

If still no go, try re-installing clients

7. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

I'm still trying the instructions from the link provided. What clients are you talking about and how can I go about re-installing them?

I think the problem is that my desktop doesn't have a wireless network card. Could that be the cause? Thanks everyone

8. criminelis

criminelis Corporal

select the properties of the wireless connection and you see a client for microsoft networks, delete, restart, go back to properties, select install and select client, select client for microsoft networks.

No guarantees but you can always try

9. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

I havn't tried the same login name and password thing yet.

If I cant get both the laptop and pc to see each other then I might buy a XP Pro CD and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestions

10. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

Hi.

I got the problem fixed. There were two problems. 1) The laptop was in another room and a bit far from the Desktop PC for the network to be found (even though I could still use the internet wirelessly) and 2) Even though I used XP's Network Setup Wizard previously, I used it again and it worked.

Thanks for all the suggestions

11. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

I appreciate your suggestions and Thanks! I would like to have XP Pro but I dont have the money yet to buy the CD so I have no choice but to use XP HOME.

As for running the Network Setup Wizard, fingers crossed I dont have to use it again...lol

Thanks again

12. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

Cheers! :)

I'm looking at prices for XP Pro and they are expensive lol :D

13. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

What upgrade would this be???

Btw, I'm from London, UK ;) I'l update my info :)

14. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

Thanks for that...i'l look into it :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds