Finding 'Secret' Settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stubby, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

I am currently running a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 (Rev 2)with an AMD XP 3200+ and 1 gig of Kingston DDR 400 RAM (2x512). I want to upgrade my RAM to 2 gigs of Kingston Hyper-X, but in order to do that I need to find the CAS and Latency settings in my BIOS so I can match the timings to what they are supposed to be for that RAM, since they default to 3. I know the settings are there, but once in the BIOS I forgot how to get into them!! I tried Gigabyte support and, in all honesty, I figure that since they haven't answered me in the past week, the chances are they aren't going too:cry So, does anyone know the secret of getting those settings to come up? THANKS!!!

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

If you email them, they'll never get back to you. Especially for such an old mobo. However, you can try this:

http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/

3. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Akhilles, thank-you very much for your reply. However, as luck would have it, I just got a reply from Gigabyte about 15 minutes ago!! I tried out their suggestion and it does work. Once in the BIOS, all I had to do was press 'ctrl' and 'F1' and that opened up the advanced options, which has alot of 'goodies' in there!!:-D However, since I have NO idea what half of those 'goodies' do I think I'll just stick to the RAM timing!!

I agree, this is an old setup I have, but it does everything I want it too do and has pretty decent speed. It's been the most trouble free system I've ever put together and I figure with the extra gig of RAM and a SATA I HDD (1.5 gigs per sec) I can get a few more miles out of it!!;) Plus, hopefully, alittle more speed too!!

Again, thank-you for taking the time to reply. It was much appreicated!!:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds