Finding serial number for ipod???

Discussion in 'Software' started by LauraR, Oct 4, 2010.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

My ipod was stolen out of my car last night. I filed a report with the police. They asked for my serial number. I thought I could find it on my computer, but then realized it only registers when it's plugged in to itunes.

Is there any other place where the info would be stored on my computer?

I purchased it on Amazon, but it's not on my invoice. I may try to give them a call.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is it not printed anywhere in the packaging bumph, warranty card?

3. LauraR

I don't have any of that stuff. I've had it for a while. I only keep packaging, etc for a little while before tossing.

I talked to Amazon and they don't keep a record of it.

I thought maybe there would be a slight chance of it being on my computer somewhere just from being plugged in. :(

The chance of it being recovered is slim, but wanted to get the number to the police just in case.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Laura

You maybe in luck as while its not documented widely, iTunes does store a XML file that lists all serials of the devices that are plugged in and just need to narrow them down if you have a few of them like other iPods and iPhones.

Substitute <username> for your accounts user name and paste this line into the Start Seach box of Win7/Vista or in any Address bar in IE, Firefox or Windows Explorer

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPodDevices.xml

Once the XML is open, should open in a browser window, IE normally, and then look down the list and it will mention the device, iPod or iPhone then an ID number then the Serial number, the numbers are in the string line as in sample below (not posting my serial for obvious reasons)

<key>Serial Number</key>
    <string>1234567890</string>

5. LauraR

EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Thanks Dave! You're awesome.:)

I called the police and on that slight chance they find some stolen ipods, they'll now have my serial number.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  6. DavidGP

You're welcome Laura and hope you are sucessful or with the serial you can claim off your insurance for a replacement.

Hope they did not damage the car too much?

7. LauraR

No damage to the car. We always lock our car door at night and last night forgot. :( That's the only reason it got stolen. These robberies are generally kids going around and checking for unlocked cars in driveways.

They only took the itouch. There won't be any claims unfortunately since we have a deductible for more than the ipod is worth through our insurance. The officer said that they do sometimes recover stolen ipods and GPS's. So there is a slight chance.

8. DavidGP

Hi Laura

Bummer on locking the door, done that of late but fortunatly my car is in a locked garage of a night.

Yeah the deductable (or Excess as its called here) can outweigh the cost of the item, and thats a PITA, here's holding out hope you can get it back.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds