Finding XP drivers for an H81I-Plus Asus motherboard

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nocta, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Nocta

Nocta Private E-2

Hello :wave,
    I'm Nocta and a friend of mine told me to come here to find some help for a stupid problem I got. :-o
    I just got a new motherboard (H81I-Plus Asus) an I'm using some softwares which works only under Windows Xp (no way to use legacy or whatever for the moment).

Problem is, Asus does not give any driver for this motherboard and Xp together...

May someone help me to find them somewhere else? :)

2. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

You could try running [MG]Driver Booster 1.1
    Just make sure to opt out of any extras during the installation.

3. Nocta

Nocta Private E-2

Sadly I cannot because I cannot even find the drivers for my ethernet chip... :(

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Nocta...

Have you been able to boot into Windows with the new motherboard?

I found this, and the first 3 are stated to be for your motherboard and for Windows XP:

http://www.hwdrivers.com/drivers/dev_mboard/ven_Asus/mod_H81I-PLUS/

This shows only the ethernet and LAN and something called Asmedia as compatible with XP 32 and 64 bit. Unfortunately, none of the others are stated to be for XP.

You might try this Google search if you can get on a computer someplace:

XP Asus H81I-Plus Drivers

Maybe you can find some other sources for drivers

Good luck

5. Nocta

Nocta Private E-2

Hi AtlBo, I indeed succeeded in running Windows XP SP3.

I'm going to try what you gave me and I will also try the "infinst_autol.exe" I found on the Intel website to try to install the Chipset drivers. Do you see anything else I will be missing after that?

Thanks.

6. AtlBo

Nocta...

There are a whole bunch of drivers for Windows 7 32 bit here at the Asus site:

http://support.asus.com/Download.as...1I-PLUS&os=8&ft=12&f_name=E8425_H81I_PLUS.pdf

I really hope that network driver works for you, so you can get on the internet. If you can't get on, you could always get a USB adapter like this:

[​IMG]

This one is a wireless, but there are some like this for an ethernet connection:

[​IMG]

If you order/buy a new one, make sure it comes with the driver, but if you already have a USB wireless adapter like the first picture, you might be able to go into Services and enable the Wireless Zero service and get online immediately...not sure about this. I bought a used PC recently, and it wouldn't connect via ethernet, so I connected a USB wireless adapter, but I had to install the driver (I had the disk) before it would connect. The driver installation gave me the option to connect using Windows (Wireless Zero), so I chose that option. Windows, XP in my case, also, has been more reliable at managing the wireless connection on a different PC than the Netgear software that came with the adapter.

Once you get on the internet, you will be able to do a thorough search for drivers that will work for you. You can always roll back the driver in Windows in any that you try don't work. Good idea to set a system restore point before installing any...

Please keep us updated...

7. Nocta

Nocta Private E-2

It works Atlbo! ;)
    Thanks a lot.

I installed the LAN drivers and then I was able to use Driver Booster 1.1 to get everything else. :cool

I installed the chipset through the "infinst_autol.exe" you can find on the Intel website and it works, but is there any way to test it to see if it work as good as it is supposed to be (do to the fact it's supposed to be Win 7 only, I'm a bit skeptic)?

8. AtlBo

Nocta...

Oh, that's great news you are able to connect.

Since you used the driver finder from Intel for the chipset, I think you have good reason to be confident that the driver will work for you. I do not know of any way to test a chipset driver, but maybe someone else has an idea.

If you haven't yet, might be a good time to back up the drivers and create a restorable image of your XP installation. It's a big relief knowing you can restore at any time, etc.

:)

9. Nocta

Nocta Private E-2

I will clearly back it up! Any recommandation for a good and free ghost software?

Thanks again, it's working like a charm! :)

10. AtlBo

I'm using Paragon Backup and Restore Free version. Don't think it's here at MG. I downloaded it here:

http://download.cnet.com/Paragon-Backup-Recovery-Free/3000-2242_4-10972187.html

but you have to watch out for the tricky installer. Just make sure to hit decline for everything, and you should be OK.

At the end, you have to register to get the key to use the software, but it's good software.

The Lowdown...read if you are interested in knowing about Paragon:

The differential backup feature means you can start with a backup and then build small backups containing changes to the system from the first backup. If you schedule one for every day of the week, you will have a nice 7 day cushion and then the original backup too. You can schedule them for first day of the month and many other ways too. The incremental backups are about 1/2 the size of the original backup. As a measuring stick, the original of my 28 GB hard drive is 16 GB. I have added alot since then, and the incrementals are now about 9 GB each.

There is a tool in the program for burning the boot restore disk, which you use to restore the backup whenever you need to start over.

By the way, if/when you set up an incremental backup on a schedule, make sure in the schedule menu that the box for creating a unique name for the backup is set so that it will NOT create unique names. This way each new scheduled backup will replace the previous one instead of adding another one to the folder. For example, if you run one every Friday, the previous one will be replaced instead of another one added to the folder when the backup runs.

NOTE:
    If you are backing up an entire drive, just check the drive letter for the backup during setup and make sure the MBR (master boot record) is included...

You may want to post in Software for input on which is best. This is the only one I've used, and it works good for me...

Hope this helps :major

11. Nocta

Nocta Private E-2

Thanks a lot AtlBo, I'll try this one and I need only one backup because Windows is on a small partition for itself so almost nothing will be changed inside this one.

I Didn't received your PM though. :)

12. AtlBo

Nocta...

Sorry I forgot, you can't send/receive PMs at MG until you have 50 posts. Here's essentially what I was going to send you:

Go ahead and install the program and then you will be prompted to visit the registration page. If you have any problems with registration, try this link:

http://malwaretips.com/threads/paragon-backup-recovery-2013-licence.14536/

Read the first 2 posts and your problem should be solved. The second post explains all you need to know about the first post. If you still have a question, read post #7 by Littlebits...

Once the program is registered and running, there will be an "Open advanced interface" link or something of the like on the bottom of the menu. You can see it there in plain view. Click on that to open a larger menu with all of your options for backup types, including differential backups, etc. The program will open to the larger menu every time after that when you click on the icon. The backups, however, open with a small menu when they run...

Let me know if you have any questions...

13. Nocta

Nocta Private E-2

Thanks again AtlBo, it's perfectly clear! I think everything will go right and if not, I'll let you a little note here. :)

Thank you for your help on all this thread and I'll see you around. :wave

Happy christmas to you,
    Nocta

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

An alternative (and the reason why it exists), is to use Windows 7 Pro for your OS instead and install XP Mode.

Something to keep in mind if you run into an issue like this again.

15. Nocta

Nocta Private E-2

Thanks Adrynalyne for the advice but my problem is that I use hacked drivers for my graphic cards (wich has to be a ATI HD4xxx) to be able to play old arcade games in their original resolution and their is no driver like that yet for Win7.
    So in fact the Xp mode is not working for my special case because the softwares themselves are 7 compatible but not the driver I'm using (yet)...

16. AtlBo

Nocta...

You are welcome. Glad I could help out.

Same to you...Merry Christmas and a happy new year...

:-D

17. Nocta

Nocta Private E-2

Hi... I have troubles with Paragon Backup and Restore Free... :-o

The software tell me that it needs to restart in "boot-time mode" to be able to make a ghost of c: so I agreed for it to restart and then Windows just restarted the "classic" windows... I tried another time and then when it's supposed to reboot, the software freeze...

I have no idea what went wrong... :(

18. AtlBo

Nocta...

Apologies, I am not familiar with the problem you are having. All I have ever done is open Paragon and then click on Backup and follow the instructions to create a full backup of C to drive D.

Just to be sure, when you selected to backup the drive on the menu with the drives listed, there are 4 boxes that can be checked for the drive. If you got to this menu, were they all selected? They should all be selected for a full backup of a hard drive.

Just one other thing. I just now looked, but I didn't see the term ghost used anywhere in Paragon. Is this your term for a full system backup? Maybe your version of Paragon B & R is slightly different than mine somehow.

Are you able to use this PC now?

19. Nocta

Nocta Private E-2

That's exactly what I tried: to do a full backup of C to D.
    All boxes are checked except D of course.

Concerning the term ghost, It's just me, not in the software, sorry.

Other than that the computer works perfectly, that's why I don't understand the probem with Paragon...

But no worries AtlBo, you already helped me a lot and I will just try not to crash my C so I don't need to recover it! :)

20. AtlBo

Nocta...

I just can't think of anything in Paragon on the backup side that would have required a reboot...only to restore an image, which requires a reboot to complete the task.

The only thing I could possibly think of is that you just installed Paragon B & R, and it required a reboot to be used. I can't remember if Paragon requires a boot after installing. The part about Windows classic sounds very strange.

Perhaps you would do well to start a thread about which are the best backup and restore programs. I have only ever used FBackup and Paragon, but there are a number of options out there...

Good luck with your backup situation. It's really important, yes to try to keep your installation of the OS in good order, but also to have backup. Inevitably something can go wrong at some point. However you go, I am sure you will find the right program for you...

21. Nocta

Nocta Private E-2

Thank you AtlBo, I have no clue neither about this issue so I will just try Fbackup and see if it works and not worry too much about it. :)

Happy christmas to you!

22. AtlBo

OK nocta...

Good luck with backups and merry christmas to you too. If you need anything, please post back here or start a new thread if it's on a different topic...

23. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

AtlBo, it looks like this thread is burned out so let me just finish it off by saying that you are amazing. You post the most thorough, thoughtful, intelligent messages I've seen on MG forums. And you churn 'em out consistently, post after post, sticking with the OP for days, even weeks until the problem is solved. You're the type of poster we should all strive to be like. Kudos!

24. AtlBo

OK rusty...what was that Paypal again? Seriouuuuusly...

:-D

25. ktech

ktech Private E-2

Hi everyone ..

by seeking biin come on this board on the web. I have the problem with my ASUS H81I -Plus, i3 Processor , 4 GB Ram , 120 GB Samsung SSD .. I just not a Win XP Professional Install kan

Once the win should start the driver before installing Invite and the installation is a blue screen . I had first thought it is on the SSD , dan I used a 2.5 " SATA HDD and it's the same . ASUS Support When it says no support for WIn XP.

Is it perhaps on my Win XP 32 bit Install CD or other I've tried several and get no result . Also I Tried by a backup from another PC with Acronis cometh only Win XP start and immediately the selection for Safe Mode wen I go up there I do not come on .. maybe someone has a ready-made Win XP cd with Nlite or something?

Can you help me by maybe? I would be glad to 've been here for two weeks on looking for ..

Thanks in advance and I apologize in advance for my English ..

26. AtlBo

ktech...

Couple of questions.

Can you get into BIOS with the Acronis restore? If you can, check to see if your BIOS setting for the hard drives is set to IDE. If it's set to AHCI, Windows XP won't load.

Another question...is your disk Windows XP SP3? I don't know if you absolutely must have SP2 or SP3 for the XP drivers to work with your motherboard, but it might be the case. At any rate, maybe someone will come along who can help you set up an installation disk with Windows XP SP3.

This page at the Asus site has drivers and BIOS updates for your motherboard for XP. I don't see a chipset driver though:

http://support.asus.com/download.as...PLUS&p=1&s=45&os=17&hashedid=fNu4PCN3WU0QKR25

Maybe the ACPI driver is the chipset...not sure but I don't think so. I have an Asus 7H55-M motherboard and I was able to find a chipset driver for it on the Asus site as you can see here:

http://support.asus.com/download.as...55-M&p=1&s=32&os=17&hashedid=eTGMR5o4qWQAArFu

I guess this is what you mean about no support for XP for your board.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a chipset driver for your Asus motherboard out there somewhere, but I'm not sure where to tell you to start. You will also need the LAN driver almost assuredly. Hopefully, someone will come along who can help...

27. ktech

ktech Private E-2

Hi ..

thanks for the quick help ..

So I into the bios and there I set to IDE Native only that all this does nothing kan ..

I see that others have already xp installed on the board and it works so I wonder why not with me ..

It's really tedious because I have a program that only runs on xp and makes on win7 problems .. therefore imperative xp on it ..

I've already tried single pair driver and it is not therefore maybe someone has a backup or other a win xp install disk cope with the drivers?

28. AtlBo

ktech...

You might try creating a thread in the hardware forum here a MG to see if anyone there has experience doing what you are trying to do. They will have a broader range of experience with hardware and with finding drivers on the hardware board...

Hopefully they will have an answer for you, but, if that doesn't work, there are numerous boards around the internet specializing in hardware (and driver issues). Google can help you to find them...

29. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

30. ktech

ktech Private E-2

Problem is I've searched and tried it 2 weeks unfortunately without success ..

31. ktech

ktech Private E-2

how can I use this driver booster if I can not even make basic installation?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds