Fire Tablet 7" 5th Generation (how To Install Google Playstore)

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by outdoorgal, Jan 1, 2017.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

Nightmare "after" Christmas.

Some of you know I just wanted to get my sister a Nook Reader (tablet) like mine I bought about 4 years ago.
    Well have things ever changed. I first bought a Nook Tablet 7" that was basically made to try and keep up with Amazon's Fire Tablet 7 made I think, about a year ago.

I ended up sending the Nook back "only" because I learned about the ADUPS spyware, and got scared off. Barnes and Noble makes the Nook, as many of you know, and they of course said no worries, updates on the way to ride the Nook of the spyware. I decided to send it back, and order Amazon's Fire Tablet 7.

I figured I could just go in and get the Google Play Store, and basically, make the Fire as much like the Nook as possible. See the link below for the process to do that, not simple but I can do it:

http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

My question is: By installing the whole Google "thing", does that just over-ride the Amazon "buy me" stuff? The article/blog says that this "fix" will give me a more traditional Android, so I am thinking, yes, I would like this better.

Feedback so welcome. I have to make a decision to send these two tablets back, and just give up on this "not wonderful" idea for a gift, plus a new toy for me too (I think I'd rather have a Barbie Doll) or try to sort of "root" my Fire Tablets so they or more Google and way less Amazon?

I want to keep these Fires, I'm tired of searching for a reader because I doubt they make anything as simple as my Nook that is now 4 years old. I'm not sure what Root means, but I would like to change my Fire into at least an Android that uses Google Playstore, with all the familiar apps, not Amazons.

2. outdoorgal

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. outdoorgal

5. outdoorgal

I see the link you sent is very good. Although it was published in 10/16, and the last one I put up was in Dec. 2016. I think it was?? Anyway, I'll have to see what works. The HTG has a lot more info than my link and thank you so much for your help:) This has really been stressful. But once I get it changed over, it should be wonderful. I just hope it works. I'm good at following directions, but if the directions are wrong, well, let's hope they aren't;)

6. outdoorgal

I finally gave up. I started realizing maybe I just need to learn the Kindle Fire. My sister hasn't ever used a Nook so it won't matter to her most likely. And I was able to get Google Playstore on my Fire, but I didn't like it not being "stock" and thought it might cause issues later. I reset the Fire to factory settings, and just going to deal with learning a new tablet.

Later if I really feel I am limited by "amazon's" options, then I may do the "fix". Thanks for your help Plodr, I do appreciate it a lot;) Denise

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

All I did was point out links. Since I've never seen a Kindle, I have zero experience.

Yes, sometimes you just have to learn something new.

outdoorgal likes this.
  8. outdoorgal

I miss a lot in the links I find, so I appreciate anyone pointing out links;)

I'm doing good with the Kindle. Just think it will be fine;) It's sure a lot faster than my Nook. I may want to work on that eventually to see if I can prolong it's life some. It's been such a good reader, love it. But I have to say the speed I have with the Fire is way neat:)

thanks again;) Keep pointing out those links!! Denise

9. outdoorgal

I found the easiest way to do this, that is, install just the Google Playstore, which is all I really wanted to do. If you have a Kindle Fire, or Fire Tablet, probably any Amazon device that doesn't have the Google Playstore, you can simply add it, or install it without any rooting. You keep all the Kindle apps, and Amazonstore as well.

I found the directions here..but please note that you do NOT need to get a File Manager app like this person suggests, at least not on the Fire Tablet, probably on any device. I just saved the apk files to my Docs app on the Fire Tablet. The post the link takes you to says Fire version 5.3.1.1, but it worked fine on my Fire Tablet 5.3.2.1 as well.

When you get the 4 files downloaded, go to Docs App>Local Storage>Download, then when you click on the files, be sure to install them in order (1st downloaded to last according to "time" installed). I don't know why, but that's what the instruction said, and that's what I did.

If anyone needs help, post a reply here. I did this about 3 or 4 times using "other" directions that were not right, so I can help you get it right the first time, theoretically;)

Maybe this is TMI but I hope it helps someone else;) Denise
    PS I just really like my Google Playstore, and know that it has so much more than the Amazonstore, at least, for my preferences.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds