Firefox auto updated. Now cant find internet connection

Discussion in 'Software' started by bluefishdeep, Dec 18, 2008.

1. bluefishdeep

bluefishdeep Private E-2

Firefox recently autoupdated to version 3.05. Now Firefox, Spy-Bot and several other programs cannot connect to my isp. FF 3.0 was working fine. Using Vista home premium on shared DSL Extreme speed connection. Internet Explorer DOES Connect without a problem. Other computers on network are connecting fine, including other Firefox browsers. Any suggestions, please?

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

If you are connecting with IE, it could be a setting in your firewall that you have to change with the new version of FF. Have you checked that?

3. bluefishdeep

bluefishdeep Private E-2

Hi Laura
    The only firewall on this machine is the one that is included in Vista. Can you guide me thru what I need to do with the firewall? Thanks for your response.

4. LauraR

5. LauraR

Thanks for clearing that up Mark. I don't have Vista and don't use windows firewalls.

I just assumed it would block outgoing like most other firewalls. Guess I shouldn't assume anything with Windows.rolleyes

6. bluefishdeep

bluefishdeep Private E-2

Laura and Mark
    Thanks to you both for your responses. My homework begins now.

Further facts: Computer is Compaq Presario,sr5050nx. It originally had a trial firewall from symantec. I uninstalled it months ago and it no longer appears on the list of installed programs (in the Uninstall Programs .cpl).
    However Programs\Symantec\LiveUpdate and ProgramData\Symantec still contain a lot of programs & .dlls. I have no other Symantec programs on the system, so there should be no need for these trees to be there anymore.

I can use regedit to search out and delete all references to these trees. Is that what I should do first?

Thanks

7. LauraR

8. bluefishdeep

bluefishdeep Private E-2

Mark & Laura

The Norton Removal Tool and ccleaner did the trick. Thanks to both of you.

regards
    bluefishdeep

9. deezeejoey

deezeejoey Private E-2

is it just me, or is Norton the biggest piece of crap out there?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds