Firefox crashes constantly

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimpeel, Aug 27, 2013.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I am talking about three to seven times a day. I'm not talking about the screen that says Firefox has crashed sorry about that. This is simply a failure to continue to run.If I do a ctrl-alt-delete it shows that all pages that are open are nor responding. When I stop any one page it clears out the entire program and closes all open pages. It restarts well enough but I should not have to do this all day every day.

Anyone else having this problem?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

j

2. You mean if you click out one tab it kills all the other tabs? Hmmmm....

Does it bring those tabs back next time?

Maybe you should try running it with extensions disabled and see if it acts differently.

3. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Yep. It kills them all. They do come back when I restart the program but it is annoying. The number of windows/tabs does not seem to matter.

I will try stopping the extensions.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Someone at another forum has problems with both 23.0 and 23.0.1 constantly freezing. He ended up uninstalling it because he couldn't get it sorted out. So Yes, I've heard of it happening.

First try running FF with all addons disabled. Click on Help then select Restart with addons disabled. Surf and see if you have the same behavior. If not, we know one of your addons is creating the problem.
    Start enabling two at a time and surf until you discover which group of two the problem addon is in.

5. I have had a situation where I discovered that just two extensions, Bitdefender Traffic Light and Bitdefender scanner, were causing a world of trouble on a Mozilla family browser.

6. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I will try those and see what happens.

At this time I will click on a tab or whatever, the cursor goes to an hourglass, and I am done. The only way out is to restart the program.

7. Pale Moon might work better for you.

You sound a lot like me. I hope you get some short term help. But I suspect you're on an old system like me, and you need a new computer with top of the line processing power and lots of RAM.

There are some applications that reduce Firefox memory consumption you can try. Firemin, MemoryFox, and ALL Browsers Memory Zip. Also CleanMem for the whole system.

8. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I already use FreeRAM XP Pro for my memory management.

I have neither.

9. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

As already stated, plugins are often the culprit.

If you are using Automatic optimizing with FreeRAM XP, you could try disabling that or use more conservative settings and see how that works.

Also, close Firefox, clear the Firefox cache with CCleaner, then restart Firefox.

10. I found that program had a very bad effect on Firefox, and I disabled it. The programs I suggested I believe are much better than FreeRAM XP Pro.

11. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

[Someone at another forum has problems with both 23.0 and 23.0.1 constantly freezing. He ended up uninstalling it because he couldn't get it sorted out. So Yes, I've heard of it happening.]

Hey plodr, I'm one of the ones that couldn't get it sorted out. I used Nightly for a while then reinstalled FF, and so far, so good.

12. samtal

samtal Corporal

13. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I have rebooted FF with the add-ons and extensions turned off. I also disabled FreeRAM.

The problem continues. All of a sudden I get the hourglass and the header says (Not Responding).

There may be some underlying cause that is not related to FF. When I click on things it takes up to five seconds for them to react. This is true even with local programs. Everything seems to have a delay, even the scroll wheel. I can turn it and then wait for the obligatory 3-5 seconds and then the screen will scroll.

It seems that this may have to do with the interrupt requests or something like that. I'm not that well schooled to make any guesses.

14. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

PROBLEM ON HOLD

Unfortunately, Sunday night, a surprise thunderstorm rolled through here and there was a strike within a block of my house. It took out my computer even though I had a surge protector -- which was apparently not enough :-o -- and it wiped out my PS and MB.:cry The drives survived :). I have stripped it out, taken the MB and case to the local shop for recycle.I will be getting another unit about mid Sept.:)

Thanks to all for their assistance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds