Firefox just errored out

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Apr 6, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A few minutes ago I was surfing along happily, and suddenly "Firefox has encountered an error and needs to close". This is the first time this has happened on my home PC which basically runs flawlessy. Never any malware, I do regular maintenance, etc. Attached are screenshots from the Event Viewer.
    Any help is appreciated.

EDIT- I numbered the errors in the first screen shot backwards... oooops. :rolleyes :eek: The one labeled #1 actually occurred 25 seconds after #2...

Attached Files:

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Do you have the latest version of firefox?
    If were you i would check for spyware (if you don't find any spyware or trojans i wouldn't worry) sometimes internet explorer 6 crashes on me while i'm browsing the web.rolleyes

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Firefox is v2.0.0.13...... I just checked for updates and none are available. I know for a fact that there's no malware on this PC but I'm running some scans at this very moment just to be totally certain. It's just odd.... I never have any problems with my PC, I mean NEVER EVER do I EVER have ANY issues. I think this is the first time something like this has happened, so naturally I'm a bit freaked out...

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, I noticed that too.... here's a shot of the 'About Firefox' info. You'll notice that the Mozilla/5.0 is version 1.8.xxxxx..... I think the actual firefox.exe is version 1.8 and the entire Firefox package is 2.0.0.13. In any case, I am going to reload FF just to be sure this doesn't happen again. I ran some malware scans (AntiVir, Super Antispyware) and they came up clean. I ran a MemTest to 3400% it returned 0 (zero) errors. Maybe the errors are just a small one-time glitch; but on a PC that doesn't ever have any glitches, it seemed a bit odd.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Well, maybe I am lucky, but I make sure my personal PC is always in perfect shape and if anything even slightly odd happens (like FF encountering an error out of the blue) I get a bit concerned. But as you say (and others elsewhere on the web) this apparently isn't something I should be too worried about......

6. azumi

azumi Private E-2

Thanks dlb. I was looking up firefox and ie crashes and read your post.

About 2 weeks ago, I updated Firefox to 3.b5 and Firefox crashes about 5 times per 4 hours now. Not only that, IE 6.029, which has been installed for several months, has started crashing too, without error messages.

i've never had this problem and will be listening to what others respond to you.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

FF is now at 2.0.0.14 see if that makes a difference. I wouldn't count on a beta. 3b5; betas are prone to crashes more than final products.
    The fact that both browsers crash seems to say something else is at work here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds