Firefox not working anymore

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikearden, Jun 20, 2013.

1. mikearden

mikearden Private E-2

Everytime I try to run firefox it says couldn't load XPCOM. I tried uninstalling it an re-installing it, but when I run the exe that I downloaded it "Extracts" does not do anything after that.
    Any ideas?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

You uninstalled and re-installed, probably did not remove your settings for FF.

You can try deleting: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Mozilla
    and
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla

That will reset your FF settings.

Reset, as in start from scratch. There is a way to start with a new profile.....

4. mikearden

mikearden Private E-2

I am using VIsta. I downloaded the firefox setup 21 from that same site you linked to. When I run the file it says "Extracting" and goes from 1% to 100%. Then it opens a "Run As" box, asking if I should run as current user or administrator. I am the only user on this machine. When I select current user, the box closes but nothing happens.

5. mikearden

mikearden Private E-2

I deleted both those folders and still same issue.
    When I go thru control panel to uninstall firefox it shows firefox 22, but when I select uninstall nothing happens.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Changes to a system in Vista, as in 7, have to run as administrator. Don't select current user.
    If you are showing FF2, then you downloaded a beta from somewhere.
    FF is stable at v21.0 as of May 14th.
    v22 will come out around June 25th because they are on a 6 week cycle.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Try:

For Windows users

• Go to "Start -> Run" (On Windows 7/Vista, press "WindowsKey+R" or use the search box at the bottom of the Start menu) and enter the file path and file name of the application, followed by the command line arguments. For example,
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -ProfileManager (including the quotation marks). In this example the file path to the installation directory is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox, the file name of the Firefox application is firefox.exe, and the command line argument we are using is ProfileManager. You should place a hyphen (-) directly before each command line argument that you wish to use.

• If you regularly wish to start your application using command line arguments then you can also create a shortcut on your Desktop which includes them. To do this, right-click on an open space of the desktop and choose "New -> Shortcut". Follow the wizard to create the new shortcut. When it prompts you for location (not name), type the file path and file name followed by the command line arguments, exactly as in the example above.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds