Firefox on Vista 64bit not working..

Discussion in 'Software' started by HECK, Aug 23, 2009.

1. HECK

HECK Corporal

I just loaded firefox and it worked for a bit and then it just wont load the webpages now. almost as if I dont have any occection to the net. So I thought it was the network card, so I tired the regular internet explorer and nothing came up. Same issues as firefox. So then I tried the 64bit version of explorer and its working.. does anyone know why firefox does NOT want to work? i even deleted everything and reloaded it.:cry

PLEASE help me haah I dont want to use IE, I need my firefox.

2. HECK

HECK Corporal

Also I just downloaded Opera and it still isnt working neither. just this IE 64 bit is working.. I turned off the windows firewall and defender and still nothing.

3. HECK

HECK Corporal

4. HECK

HECK Corporal

well I found the on-disk recovery partition and ran it. Its back to normal but I have NOT updated my Vista. I read online that there is an update from microsoft that inhibits the use of anything but IE or maybe some type of conflict. Not sure. So I'm not going to update this just yet..

I'm going to be getting Windows 7 anyways.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Glad you seem to have it working again now, but I have never heard of a microsoft update that blocks all other browsers, if their was then everyone using Vista would be affected, and moving to Windows 7 is not going to help either. The only things I would advise against installing from Windows update, are the driver updates it pushes out, would far rather install most of them from the makers site.

I do have a fully upto date vista x64 and it works fine with IE8, Firefox minefield, Chrome and Opera 10.

I would be if this happens again looking at what you have installed as this type of behaviour is more linked to a 3rd party application (googles web accellerator was a cause of similar issues like this a while back) or whatever security applications over the default windows ones in defender and firewall, to possible malware or ethernet, proxy settings.

6. HECK

HECK Corporal

thanks for the reply. Funny thing is that this Pc just came out of the box and I was installing my malware programs and anti vir. this is what I have installed currently, avira Antivir, Malware bytes, Ccleaner, Spybot SD.

I dont see how any of those would interact with the internet. Opera and FF are both working again after the complete reload of the factory resets.

So I seen you say something about being weary of the drivers? Can you give more info on them, like how do I stay away from them? Is it in the download package?

thanks!

7. DavidGP

Hi

The drivers that come from Windows update, show in your update list, as a non critial/recomended udpate, all you need to do is to right click and hide the update, it then wont show, but for a while now they are iirc not ticked by default for install with critical updates, so when you see the Windows update shield, click it and check whats being offered.

As for security applications, almost all have some bearing on internet or network access, as for Spybot, its HOSTS additions and its blocking of additions to the Registry can cause problems at times. Antivirus apps have in the case of mine Avast a webshield that is scanning websites for malicious pages or injected malware.

As this is new PC did it come with any pre-loaded security applications? if it did and you have not removed what they installed (most come with Norton or McAfee) then do so as they could conflict with your favoured application in AntiVir.

Is your AntiVir the full package or the basic free one, only as as the full comes with firewall.

What I would do is just keep an eye on what your updating or installing so that if this happens again then you have a small idea of what the possible causes could be.

8. HECK

HECK Corporal

Well its been alomst a day now and nothing has happened. I did download avast and maybe that is was screwed it up last time. Now I have the Antivir as my Antivirus protection. and it is the free one. I will download the windows updates and see what happens after that. Thanks

and I will hide those non critical updates.

9. DavidGP

Hi

Cool on all working ok so far, I would just check what the non critial ones are as some are benefical like Silverlight, .Net etc but just be weary of the drivers, if one is linked too, goto your PC makers and check on an update and install that one.

The updates once clicked on will in the left panel of WinUpdate tell you what these updates are so that you can choose if you want them or not, some like Powershell would not be useful for many users.

10. HECK

HECK Corporal

Also I just realized that there is McAfee secuirty thing still on my Pc. I deleted it using the Pc decrapifier ( DL'ed off of here ) and it removed the McAfee programs but I still see it in my icon bar ( one on the right side of the task bar )...

Anyhelp on removing this crap?

11. DavidGP

HI

Yes, if it was removed with PC defrapifier, then try the McAfee uninstaller had to use this on a PC this week to remove a bad uninstall of McAfee.

Then run CCleaner and its cleaner and registry tool, run the registry one until nothing lists for removal

12. HECK

HECK Corporal

Here is the list of updates. Everythng that is NOT pictured says important ( i would assume that these are critical ones ) here are the recommended ones

[​IMG]

also just used the tool in the link your provided hope it works! thanks again.

13. DavidGP

Hi Heck

I would get the Recomended ones in that list and now you see the driver updates I mentioned that could come, these are the optional ones, now whiel I portrayed Windows Udpate as bad for drivers, its better than it was with signed drivers, as they do come from the makers, but I personally dont like installing drivers via Windows Udpate.

So to update the Nvidia ones you'd need to goto your PC maker or Motherboard maker and update them if you wish to, but in most things computing if its working ok now dont meddle.

14. HECK

HECK Corporal

Much thanks!!!! I'm off to work now, so I can let you rest from replying too much haha

AHHHH also, this windows defender. should I enable that along with windows firewall?

15. DavidGP

Hi

Can enable Windows Defender as the Vista version is good, the firewall is fine, if not using a 3rd party FW (PCTools is good) but would hold off on a 3rd party software firewall just yet, to make sure nothing else causes your lack in internet connectivity with Fx and Opera, once all is going good then the only internet issues would be caused by installing a firewall and just checking its options and setup.

Enjoy your day :)

16. HECK

HECK Corporal

Cool I will install the defender updates and turn on the firewall and restart and try to report back before heading out the door.

17. HECK

HECK Corporal

Well I just ran all the important updates and all is well. Possibly a 3rd party program I has installed before.. Hm.. Well Thanks anyway!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds