Firefox Plugins Broken on Update

Discussion in 'Software' started by WarKirby, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WarKirby

WarKirby Private First Class

Yesterday, firefox forced itself to update, despite my attempts to stop it at every opportunity. And now all of my plugins are gone it seems.

The tools > add ons menu shows them present and enabled, but the UI elements aren't there, and they're not functioning.

So I figured it might be a good idea to try removing and reinstalling them. I did so with one. I got an "unexpected installation error" when trying to reinstall, and it tells me to check the error console, which says this:

[​IMG]

It looks like the extension manager isn't working. Any idea on how to fix this? It was working fine before the forced update.

2. WarKirby

Thak you for the reply, but you'r misunderstanding. There was no dialog of things which would be disabled. ALL of the plugins are broken, and attmpting to reinstall any of them gives the error listed in the OP.

I also tried checking for updates, and two of them did have updates. The same error happened when trying to install the updates to the plugins.

It won't allow me to install or update any plugins.
    I'll try removing them in safe mode and using the diagnostic. Will report if it works.

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Just got an update as well and my Plugins are fine. In Tools>>Options>>Advanced- have you checked "warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons".

4. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

Personally, I would download the newest version of Firefox, uninstall it, maybe clean your registry, then install the new version you just downloaded. From there you can search for the plugins you want and install them..

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

None of my addons broke when updating from 3.0 to 3.0.1 so it does appear that the update was corrupt.

6. WarKirby

through disabling and uninstalling some add ons, I managed to get it working again. I'm still not sure what the problem was, but I've got all the important ones working again, so I'm happy now

7. whoay35

whoay35 Private First Class

I thought that the updates just made Firefox into a version that the addons were not formatted to be used in. The mod community is really active, so I'm sure that they will update for 3.0.1 soon enough...although something tells me that shouldn't be a problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds