firefox scared me into upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheena, Jul 9, 2011.

1. sheena

sheena Corporal

Greetings.
    I switched from IE to Firefox3.5something about a year ago and never looked back. Also got an add on to it that totally stopped the long term problem I was having with yahoo pre-empting all my searches. Shortly after getting Firefox, within two weeks, it was nagging me daily to upgrade to their latest version, which seems to change every month. Also tried to get me to upgrade the add ons, but when I did they didn't work right so I went back to the original add on. I was very happy with what I had, Firefox kept nagging, and I ignored them, and browsed with no problems. Yesterday when Firefox loaded a big window opened in the middle of my page saying 'Urgent.' My version was no longer being supported or protected from online attacks and I needed to upgrade to Firefox5. Well, I didn't want to, but was afraid, so I did the hour long download. And I hate this new version. It doesn't seem as good as the old, doesn't have the conveniences and features of the old, and isn't as attractive. For example, the toolbar graphics are fewer, and those are in BLACK AND GREY, rather than the pretty colors of 3.5. Additionally, after the download it informed me that I had lost my add-ons, including the one that I spoke of that solved my search problems, that they were not compatible with this version. I have tried to get 3.5 back to no avail. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN GET THE OLD VERSION BACK WITHOUT LOSING MY MILLION VERY IMPORTANT BOOKMARKS?? Is it really true that I needed to upgrade? This new version seems worse.

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

You can download v3.6.18 from Mozilla. Just scroll down through the 'Fully Localized Versions' untill you see the one you want, English (US)? Select 'Download' from the column for your OS. Left column is 'Windows', middle column is 'Mac OS X' and the right column is 'Linux'.

Firefox v3.5.xx can be downloaded from Oldversion.com on this page.

In Firefox from the 'Bookmarks' menu, you should be able to: 'Show All Bookmarks' > 'Import and Backup' menu > 'Export HTML'. Select an easy to find folder(location) and 'Save'. Your bookmarks will be saved in a file(bookmarks.html) that can be loaded back into Firefox vx.x.xx or another browser of your choosing.

You will want to know how to completely remove Firefox so you won't be installing an older version over the top of a newer version.

Even Firefox 3.6.xx will only be supported a short time longer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds