Firefox Storing Unauthorized Offline Data

Discussion in 'Software' started by yturieow, Dec 28, 2016.

1. yturieow

yturieow Private E-2

While looking at my "cached web content" size in Firefox, I noticed a website in the "offline web content and user data" box. I have the "Tell me when a website asks to store data for offline use" box checked, and have never even been asked for permission to store data offline ( let alone given permission ), and no one else uses this computer. Anyone know how something like this could happen? I just finished virus and malware scans with negative results on both.

AtlBo likes this.
  2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

yturieow...can you actually see the data and how much disk space is being used by the folder? i.e. do you see pic files and so on or is it standard firefox cache files? Also, can you see the name of the website?

Somebody might come along with the answer, but I am curious about what you are seeing in the folder. Sounds like maybe it's a bypass that Mozilla should know about, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Could be just some default files/folders or whatever.

3. yturieow

yturieow Private E-2

No I can't see a folder or the data. When I go to Firefox "options", then click "advanced", and then click the "network" tab, it tells me what (if any) websites are storing data. The website that was listed as storing data was https://p4y7w1q5.map2.ssl.hwcdn.net.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. yturieow

yturieow Private E-2

Thanks for checking the url for nasties for me. It certainly is mysterious. I've been using Firefox as long as they've been around, and I've never seen this before. I think the "tell me when a website asks to store data..." box is checked by default. I've never even been ASKED for permission to store data (unless I've started web surfing in my sleep), so I'm really confused about even how this url got there.

AtlBo likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds