Firefox, their home page and their latest version

Discussion in 'Software' started by another village idiot, Mar 13, 2013.

1. another village idiot

another village idiot Private E-2

Folks,

Until recently I have been happy with Firefox.

Their home page was easy to use/navigate and all that stuff.

Recently Firefox won't load any addons.

This was with 19.0.0

I would get the "old" GUI screen and the download bar would start then just stop and it would "fail".

On 19.0.2 the addon screen has changed and the Firefox home page has also changed.

Instead of being a "GUI" it is more like a text based browser home page and NO graphics.

Trying to get somewhere is impossible and I keep going around in circles trying to either find posts or ask a question.

Can I install an earlier version over this one or do I have to in-install it and start again?

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Actually I don't see anything different with FX 19.0.2; the Add-ons Manager page looks the same, as does the Firefox home page.

Attached Files:

3. another village idiot

This is what I see:

Pic 1

When I try to download an addon, this is the screen:

Pic 2 and 3

Scrolling down on pic 3 I have a list of the apps and aging tabs (for example) listed.

I click on the "load app" link and it gives me an error "problem loading page".

Attached Files:

4. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

FireFox 19.02 works great for me
    What is that green bar in the top right corner of FireFox, is it a page loading progress bar ? If it is and since it is only at 76% in all the screenshots, that would explain why the pages look the way they do.

I suggest the first step should be to see if one of your Add-ons is causing the problem or possibly a conflict betwwen Add-ons, go to:
    FireFox Menu > Help > Restart with Add-ons disabled

If FireFox looks normal with Add-ons disabled then enable Add-ons one at a time until you find the one that causes the problem.
    If the problem persists with Add-ons disabled then I suggest you backup your bookmarks and uninstall then reinstall FireFox

If you want to backup your Bookmarks plus History etc then you can use Mozbackup
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php/Mozbackup_d5822.html

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Running 19.0.2 on XP and 7 and it looks the same as the previous versions.

6. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Looking at the FF start page screenshot,, I've actually had that happened to me in FF and SRWare Iron, but it only happens every now and then and always seems a temporary thing.

7. another village idiot

Well, "good news".

Running Firefox with no addons, it works as it should.

Now is the fun of enabling them one at a time.

I shall investigate, but ITMT: How do I enable them one at a time?
    I went to the addon page, but it says that I am in safe mode and they are all disabled.

There isn't a way I can quickly see to enable them one at a time.

Mr Google, here I come!

Update:
    After going into safe mode and things "working", I exited and reloaded Firefox and .......

Voila!

It is now all ok.

Go figure.

So:
    If anyone else has this problem try loading Firefox in safe mode, exit and load it again normally.
    See what happens.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  8. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I use Pale Moon mostly now same as firefox but pale moon runs three times better.

And i don't or have not seen that issue.Have you updated the flash player lately.I think that page kinda takes a little bit of flash player.

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Broken CSS sheet. Sometimes if you go and do a complete delete of everything, and then try again, it may fix things. What add-ons do you run on FF?

10. another village idiot

Quite a few.

I don't know how to get a list easily and include it.

But I have WOT, Flagfox, videodownloader, some tab tools, the internet usage gauge, reminderfox. and some more.

Thing is that loading "safe mode" then going back to normal mode fixed the problem.

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Take a Screenshot of each page, or you can do a Compatibility check at the Mozilla site, and it will list them out on there as to what you have in a nice neat list.

12. samtal

samtal Corporal

13. another village idiot

Here is a shot of SOME of the addons.

Attached Files:

14. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Scroll down and get the next couple of screens. Unless you are in Australia, you do not need the Aussie dictionary, fastest fox you can dump, flag fox also, fox tab dump, Net usage item dump.

After the rest, can tell you what else to get rid of. Every add-on will use more RAM, and some add-ons have a habit of causing a runaway RAM use condition, that it continues to grow in size for what Task manager shows Firefox is using.

I like Chrome, due to I can pull up a pop-up that is showing background processes in Chrome, and see what is eating up my RAM, while Chrome is running.

15. another village idiot

Wow, you are critical of my add-ons.

Sure, they may be "problematic" but I ***DO*** live in Oz! :tas:

Thus the dictionary.

Silly seppo's who can't spell. LOL
    All these red underscores when I write the word colour and harbour

I use some of the tabs for a REASON.

The net usage is very good as I don't have UNLIMITED ADSL and am on a 5 gig / month plan.

I don't pay extra, but get shaped badly if I go over.

Fastfox allows quick easy "endless scrolling" on pages which is handy/nice.

Foxtab is nice for quickly viewing most used bookmarks.

Yes, they chew up memory, and all that.

I try to keep things separated. Either I am surfing or ..... converting video files. Seldom the two. I also only have XP SP3 and 2.5 gig of sheep (sorry, RAM) anyway.

Yes, these add-ons maybe also increase the possibility of problems like the one I had.

I live and learn.

As all I needed to do was start FF without add-ons, then re-enable them to fix it: The problem isn't insurmountable.

Sorry, but not having the best of days for OTHER reasons.

p.s.
    A couple of the add-ons are there only because I downloaded them to see if it was working again.
    I haven't got around to removing them.

Attached Files:

16. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes, there are some of us critical of how much is loaded on top of Firefox, due to there are at times, some add-ons cause problems, other times, a lot of them really do nothing, and just eat up RAM, while FF is running.

I ended up going with Chrome, due to after 19.x, FF was getting to the point that it became not as good as earlier editions, and has just become too bloated, along with not cross-platform as Chrome is, with iOS, since I have a iPhone, and wanted a browser that was lite and faster than Safari on iOS, and could have seamless across both Windows 8 & my iPhone running iOS 6.x

17. another village idiot

That's fair enough.

I am sort of getting annoyed with all these updates myself.

It is nearly as bad as windoze!

And where do you draw the line? (rhetorical)

Are the updates "fixes" or "bloatware"? If they don't address security issues, then it gets a bit annoying.

Sure "features" are nice, but again: It is a personal thing to what you want and don't.

Alas work MAKES us use IE. YUCK!

The machines are semi-locked and we aren't allowed to put things on them. Fair enough in ways, but I am really happier with Firefox's features with the add-ons I have.

Believe me, I don't just put them there to "keep up with the Jones'".

RMB open in a new tab, RMB open in a new FOREGROUND tab things are really handy.

And having about 20 tabs open.... :confused

But I keep track of what I am reading.

EG: I am on a "mission" to learn about something. I keep the tabs open so I can see where I have been and what I have read, etc. At work that gets difficult and the laptop kinda dies with more than 10 tabs open.

18. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It is Windows, not Windoze. Windoze is what you do, when you are riding in a car and lay your head against the window and doze off. As for the updates in both Firefox & Windows, majority are to fix security issues, bug fixes, remove old features, add new ones, streamline code, integrate stuff, etc..

That is why you should always look over the information that is available, when you do a update, before allowing it, so that you know what is going on. I chuckle when I get a update for a app on my iPhone, that states that it fixes a crash issue, when I never have that problem, but it is obvious the writer or programming group experienced those issues, while running it in the developer program.

There is a list of FUD awards here on the forums, that a few pieces of software that did nothing, earned an award for being the best thing next to Apple Pie & Ice Cream.

If you really want to see what is going on with running processes, grab "Process Explorer" either off of the file repository here at Majorgeeks, or from Microsoft.com. It gives you a better view of what is going on. Basically the same type of breakdown that Ubuntu gives for its System tool that shows running processes.

Windows 8 has taken it farther than 7, by actually combining some of the code from Process Explorer into the task manager. I really wish that they would have just merged it fully into Task manager.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds