Firefox To Remember Password / Logins

Discussion in 'Software' started by _Chris_, Aug 15, 2017.

1. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

How do you get Firefox to remember passwords / logins please?

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Tools > Options > Security > Log ins

3. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

I have the attached - my internet explorer always remembers the logins, but my firefox never does? FF - passwords.jpg

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

5. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

As on the attached, nada in either? What next? FF - passwords - 1.jpg FF - passwords - 2.jpg

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Is Firefox even asking or ever asked you in a permissions window to save the data when you log in to a website with a username and password?

Your next step would be to run Firefox in its 'safe mode' > Help > Restart with add ons disabled.
    Restart Fx go to a website to log in, see if it asks to save the details, save them. Log out, restart Fx and see if it remembers.

7. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

Firefox has never asked me.

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Then it seems it was never set to do that.
    Have you done what I suggested in post #6? If not you need to do that to see if an add on, or some external software, is causing it.

9. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

Not yet.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It takes less than 60 seconds.

11. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

Yep, but am doing something else in FF as well.

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's called simple 'troubleshooting' so do it when you find the time if you want it to save log in data.

13. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

Okay, did that, and wasn't asked to remember the login.

14. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

A ot of things can be 'simple', I just couldn't do it right there at that moment.

15. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

As your IE is working so well why don't you just use that while you test Fx in safe mode.

16. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

I did, and the answer is above.

17. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

It never has.

As mentioned - done all that, still doesn't remember logins.

18. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What is the setting for History under Privacy?
    If you have checked/ticked Clear History when Firefox closes, nothing is saved.

19. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

Thanks for coming in here on this. Attached is how it is and still not remembering passwords?
    FF - passwords - 3.jpg

20. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

Also, I don't see any purple mask anywhere.

21. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There are hidden elements missing in that Privacy screenshot - change the remember history setting to 'Use custom settings for history' and in the options that appear look to see if 'clear history when Firefox closes' is checked. If it is uncheck it. If it is not, do the below.

Do a clean reinstall of Firefox this way.
    1. Download a new Firefox set up file and save it to the desktop
    2. Close Firefox completely
    3. Do NOT uninstall Firefox that's not needed
    4. Go to Program Files (on a 64 bit system) AND Program Files (x86) and change the name of both files (both if two) to:
    C:\Program Files\OldFirefox
    C:\Program Files (x86)\OldFirefox
    Now run the set up file you downloaded. It should automatically connect to your existing profile settings.
    Now make sure you have Tools > Options > Security > Log ins checked and try again.

Note: Some plugins may exist only in that OldFirefox folder. If something essential is missing, look in these folders:
    \OldFirefox\Plugins
    \OldFirefox\browser\plugins

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  22. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

Thanks. Will it still keep the favourites/bookmarks?

23. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I just edited the post as you were replying - read the first part again before doing a reinstall.
    Your question about profile settings was answered:

24. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

Just to be clear, it shows what is here:

FF - passwords - 4.jpg

25. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

OK carry on with the clean reinstall steps in post #21

26. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

By the way, if you are using any kind of drive cleaner software (eg CCleaner, Wise Disk Cleaner, Slim Cleaner etc) that could be wiping all saved data.

27. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

Interesting, I have used ccleaner for about 6 years, maybe there's a link there? But wouldn't the same thing affect ie as well?

28. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you open CCleaner > Cleaner > Applications and look to see if the relevant sections for Firefox > site preferences, saved form information and saved passwords are CHECKED then it deletes them all. IF they are checked, then UNCHECK those three.
    The settings in CCleaner for each browser are separate.
    If not, carry on with the clean reinstall.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  29. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

It was unchecked for ff in ccleaner. Will do that reinstall later today. Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

30. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

On the right side of the page, click "Open menu". (looks like 3 straight lines). Then click 'options'. Then "Security'( on the left). Then under 'logins" Click "Remember logins for sites". That should take care of you!

31. _Chris_

_Chris_ Private E-2

Please see post number 3 here.

32. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Open FF and uncheck Remember logins for sites. Close FF and reboot the computer.
    Then go back in and re- check Remember logins for sites.

I find if thing are registering correctly, I change the item, reboot then try again.

If that doesn't do it, the perhaps something in about:config needs to be changed. I'm not sure exactly what though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds