Firefox will not retain my preferences

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Apr 29, 2010.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I am using Mozilla Firefox version 3.6.3 on a desktop PC running Windows XP HE SP3.

I keep setting preferences in Firefox by going into Tools>Options then clicking on the Preferences tab and under History in "Firefox will:" I am selecting "Never remember history". I then click OK. The next time I check it has changed itself to "Firefox will: Use custom settings for history". Why does it change itself? Why does it not retain my selected preferences?

I also have Mozilla Firefox version 3.6.3 on my laptop PC and I do not have this issue on that machine.

In order to try to resolve the problem I have attempted the following: I used Revo Uninstaller version 1.87 to uninstall Firefox including its registry entries and any orphan files. I then did a clean install of Firefox from the Filehippo.com website but even with the clean install the issue persists.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Mark I was about to suggest deleting the Mozilla profile folder.

4. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Does that mean I will lose all my bookmarks?

5. Major Attitude

No, just export them

Select Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks.

Click File > Export…

6. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

With the danger of me looking foolish, after selecting Organize Bookmarks there is no 'File'. I am on version 3.6.3. Are your instructions relevant to another version. I attach a JPEG image of the screen I get from Select Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks.

Attached Files:

7. Major Attitude

Most likely, I dont use Firefox, just look around under bookmarks for an export option.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try the 3rd menu item: Import and Backup

9. Just a shot in the dark...Can it be that you are using something like CCleaner and that is what's erasing your settings?

10. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

This is rather tedious, but if done properly it could work.

Backup your current profile:
    Backing Up Your Information

Then create a new profile:
    Managing Profiles

Might be a good idea to jot down some of your current FF settings to make
    creating the new profile less of a headache.

I use CCleaner regularly with settings to clean Firefox Cookies, Saved Form Information, and Compact Databases
    but Not Download History, Internet Cache and Internet History.
    Never had a problem with preferences not sticking.
    I think CCleaner will leave that alone.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds