Firefox Won't Close Or Open

Discussion in 'Software' started by DON GAYNOR, Oct 12, 2016.

1. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Suddenly after MS update today, can't open or close FF.

I downloaded version 49 but it won't install while FF is running. Each attempt to launch just stacks another icon in the taskbar. Right click brings up a "close" option that don't work.

Attempt to uninstall says "Program must be closed to uninstall." Ketch 22.

Help.

Don

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I know right clicking is difficult for you but, if you can, right click the Task Bar and launch Task Manager and go to Processes. Look for anything related to Firefox and end it's Task. Uninstall the older version of Firefox and install FF 49.

I updated my Win 10 Pro and Enterprise versions today to build 14393.321 and am posting this from win 10 Pro using FF 49.0.1.

3. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

No joy! I got FF uninstalled and a fresh install but same problem. Windows 10 refuses to find it. I uninstalled/reinstalled several times. No help! Maybe I'll go into the registry tomorrow and try removing it there. I'm using Opera to post this but I don't like it nearly so well. Maybe I'll try Chrome or IE.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

This sounds like an exact repeat of the problem you had in the thread about reinstalling Firefox after a weather storm.
    There should never, ever be any need to make any registry edits to cleanly remove the core Firefox program, and in fact doing so may well just cause problems. A standard uninstall, then restarting the system, should result in no instances of firefox.exe showing in Task Manager > Processes.

5. john2wall

john2wall Private E-2

works like a charm, thanks. All my profiles were gone and I had to make one using your info. Looks like I lost all my saved passwords. I guess I have to start over or see if I can find them somewhere unless you know where they might be at. Bookmarks are there I guess they should be somewhere.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Open Firefox and go to Tools > Options > Security > Saved Logins > Show Passwords > Yes.
    You can then right-click and copy the usernames and passwords.

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

@john2wall
    Just so that you know, this is someone else's help thread.
    If you need any further help with Firefox you should click on the 'Post New Thread' link at top right.
    Otherwise it's not helpful to the original poster.

8. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Max,

You are correct, it's de ja vu all over again! Upgrading from W7 to W10 was only a temporary fix. So frustrated!

Don

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I think you should try again but in a careful and methodical way:

1. Using Programs & Features, or a separate uninstaller program if you have one installed, uninstall any current Firefox installation.

RESTART YOUR SYSTEM

2. Download a fresh set up file for Firefox making sure it is the correct one for your OS, ie Windows, it should recognise that you are on a 32 bit system from here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
    3. When you set it to install make sure you check the box for a desktop shortcut.
    If at the end of the installation process it has a box to 'finish and run Firefox' then let it do that.

10. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

I gave up and went to Chrome. It's playing nicely.

Max, I followed your instruction faithfully an still got the impotent icons on the taskbar.

I'll try Chrome awhile although I've lost my familiar add-ons (weather and adblocker) so I'll find equivalents for Chrome.

Thanks for your very competent assist.

Don

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

OK Don. Chrome can be good.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds