Firewall opinions

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigtrucks, Jun 25, 2009.

1. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Yeah I know there's 5 other post on similar subject but the latest one is in Oct of last year and things change a lot.
    I downloaded Free Sygate I believe a month after I joined(2-09)(seems longer) I don't remember seeing the message on the side saying Symantic killed it 3 years ago. I'm sure it probably was there just didn't pay attention to it.ANYWAY In the last couple of days my desktop,that I rarely use since I got the lap,keeps doing a pop up that it's blocking windows/system32/ntsokrnl.exe. I researched only to find I wasn't the only one having that situation. I'm looking at another program but want something as close as possible to what I have. I'm going on what we have here Only.I sure do like sygate.
    [​IMG]

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try PCtools as found its pretty good and menus are easy to work out.

As for windows/system32/ntsokrnl.exe then have you updated windows (or windows components like WMP etc) in last few days possibly? if so its normal for some Firewalls to block an updated system file as the file has changed from what the Firewall has listed for that file, so blocks it until you approve the file as being legit.

3. Greywood1862

Greywood1862 Private First Class

Do you not like Comodo's AV or is this just because the original question was about firewalls?

4. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I also have AVG FREE and am very contented with it. Have one cliche but I guess I'll have to address it sooner or later. Doesn't affect the job of the av but just kind of annoying if I try to check the virus vault.It comes up with an error saying I can't access the v. vault and will now close. Hit the OK button and it close the window to the vault. I checked with AVG forum and was told that I had to reload it again but to disable firewall. Did this. Didn't work. Not worried unless it starts messing with the scans and so far, knock on wood, it hasn't.

5. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Hello There,

Have you tried zonealarm firewall as it never let me down yet and I have been using this for sometime now.

I recommend in giving it a try but there is others you can try out there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds