Firewall / Router setting ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Can anyone point me towards a tutorial on the various Security Options for Firewall Modem / Routers. I have a Netgear DG834Gv3, but would appreciate any tutorial.

I'd like to know about the various WPA settings and their plusses and minuses, if you can help.

See thumbnail.

Which setting should I use for best results?

Bazza

Attached Files:

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hi Bazza,

I think the real question is not which security should my router offer,

but,

Which security can the likely devices to be connected accept?

This is because many devices will not work with the latest and greatest version of WPA, which is undoubtedly the best.

I find that WEP is more likely to be universally accepted, although weaker, so the STudio T network is usually set to WEP.

The University of Nottingham uses no security on its campus network.

You can, and should, use encrypted transmission if you are transmitting sensitive data.
    This is a separate issue and can be used on any network.

Don't forget also to change the router's own access password to its control page.

Hope this helps.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks studiot for your input. :major
    I'll leave mine set as per my thumbnail, for the present unless someone suggests otherwise. Bazza

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds