Firewall wired/wireless Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oma, Oct 5, 2010.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

I've never had a firewall router so have no idea about it and how it works. I would like to know which brands would be best to look into. I have a 6 year old cable modem (Scientific Atlanta) from my ISP provider (Rogers) and asked them if they had a modem with a hardware firewall included in it. They have 2 of them. But when I looked at their manuals, they're way too complicated for me and quite expense as well. I need something easy to work with as my brain won't cooperate as well anymore.

I've always had a soft firewall of course and want now a hardware firewall and use my XP software firewall. Is that safe enough?

I've looked at this link for a firewall but have no idea which ones are better. All I know that NAT and SPI is important to have. Could someone point me in the right direction please? I have only 1 computer and my specs are in my signature. Thank you in anticipation.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...Firewall+wired+Router&image12.x=0&image12.y=0

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

A wired or wireless router would be a good idea. The hardware firewall blocks all unsolicited inbound traffic to your local network.

I have always used the Linksys WRT54G routers. I have had good luck with them and they are usually able to be upgraded to non-oem firmware if that is of interest to you. I have started to see a lot of failures in the newer Linksys routers. I don't recall the model but it's the shiny black powder box looking routers. I also find them to be rather limited in their range for the wireless.

In my opinion, the Modem/Router combo units are less secure then having two separate units. The reason is because when the router is in the same unit as the modem, the ISP has at least some level of control over your router from the WAN side which is contrary to the point of the router. I prefer to block ALL unsolicited inbound traffic.

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

Checked the router you had and it doesn't seem to be available anymore here in Canada, just for Linux. Will take up on your advise and keep on looking around for a separate (wired) router rather than a built in one in a cable modem. Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds