Firmware download is .bin file, what now?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcejsul, Feb 2, 2009.

1. mcejsul

mcejsul Private E-2

hello,
    Not sure if I am in the right forum or not but this is a software issue (I think). Someone gave me a Linsys WRT54G router without the software CD. I went to linksys and downloaded the firmware for the router but is is a .bin file. I cannot open it as is, what do I do now
    File name is as follows
    WRT54G-v5v6_1.02.5_fw,0.bin

any reccomendations?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You open it via update in your router. Find your router documentation, login to your router and update.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Are you trying to update the router's firmware, or are you trying to setupt the router? Like MA said, you update the firmware from the router interface.

If you are doing basic setup, don't worry about the firmware unless you have a problem.

If you are just setting it up, and don't have the destructions, try looking around here: http://www-id.linksys.com/servlet/S...rapper&lid=3740137401B01&displaypage=download

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds