Firmware error messages and registry hype

Discussion in 'Software' started by LovestoLaugh, Jan 9, 2007.

1. LovestoLaugh

LovestoLaugh Private E-2

Where to begin? rolleyes

Sunday the ole PC locked up so tight that the only way to get anywhere was to turn it off. When I rebooted I got the following message.

Checking Ide etc..........................................................(never happened before, usually boots fairly rapidly)

Error firmware is not ready. (Would be nice if I knew what firmware. Printer? BIOS? Router?

Finally booted but took approx 10 minutes. All seemed well, if a little slow and couldn't find any readily apparent issue to resolve.

Today same thing locked up tighter n drum trying to load Sid Meier's Railroad
    (Yup, I'm a game freak)

No more Firmware message but the IDE check lasted forever! The the Windows Blue Screen of Death!confused
    Message: The registry cannot load hive file, System Root/System32/configdefault or its log or alternate is corrupt absent or not writable.

This evening after work started all over. Took approx 15 min to boot did a shut down re-start and it only took 3-4 minutes to restart, and once again all seems well with no obvious issues.

What do these messages mean and how do I get my old system back. I don't even know where to start. :cry

One other thing since upgrading the CPU chip last year to a Pent 2.4 I consistently get a 'Windows write fail' message. Is any of this connected?

Where do I start looki

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Hi again LovestoLaugh,

They will need some more info I think, so you have Windows XP? Service Pack 2? Your computer make, system info.

Smiles,

Peg

3. LovestoLaugh

LovestoLaugh Private E-2

Computer make: User assembled Intel, Pent 4 2.26, 512 ram, OS Win XP Professional 2002 SP 2. Wait original CPU was 1.89 Pent 4. Windows delayed write fail to F:/mft message started showing up after hubby took it to upgrade to the 2.26GHz. Until was running like a champ smooth as glass and twice as slick for at least 3 years with no problems whatsoever. Most recent upgrade was installation of a new printer.

Today, I now have repeated windows virtual memory is too low error going to search that. :D

4. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

I would start in Read me & Run me, from what i can see your errors are also appearing in old posts in the malware forum, clean your computer 1st, you most likely have a problem and your errors are multiplying.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Follow cleaning in the order posted, it saves time.

Smiles,

Peg

5. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Not my area of expertise (dont have one :D )
    does sound like a possible imminent hard drive failure to me

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

When ye rebooted, was the firmware question during post?

Are ye running anything in raid or using any scsi devices?

Does the computer boot into windows?

Are ye overclocking anything?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds