First POST on new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NationalAcrobat, Oct 14, 2004.

1. NationalAcrobat

NationalAcrobat Private First Class

Well I got my system all put together.

Gave me 3 short beeps, and then says "no bootable media"

I read that the 3 short beeps means I have a memory problem. Put in a brand new OCZ 1GB PC3200.Not sure what the problem could be.

That aside, when it says "no bootable media" does that mean it wants me to go ahead and use the XP disk?

also, once it started up, gave no beep msg. and brought me to the BIOS screen.

2. SiLenZe

SiLenZe Private First Class

set the boot device to cdrom in the bios and put the windows cd in the cd/dvd drive
    otherwise you screwed something up while putting the parts in.

3. NationalAcrobat

EDIT:

I took out and reinserted the RAM stick and that problem is gone.

not sure where to go from here. I have my Windows XP cd, I am working on getting a floppy to set up RAID. Problem is my floppy drive on my old PC doesnt work(never has).

but my question is: Should I go ahead and boot from my windows XP disk now?

I hit F4 and went into raid set up, set raid 0, and it seemed to have worked.

so whats next?

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Are you now able to post up without problems?

Set your bios to suit your setup, here is bios guide:
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=9

Make sure all hardware is recognized, & cpu/memory running at stock speeds (in bios).

If your HDD's are SATA's, the next step is purchase a floppy drive as you would need one to load sata/raid drivers.

5. NationalAcrobat

I havent been able to find my HDD's in the BIOS. I ran the bootable CD that came with the HDD's and it let me format and partition the drive.

I hit F4 to enter raid setup, and set it to RAID 0. It now portrays the 2 HDD's as one 240 GIG HDD.

so here's where Im at: If I let it try to boot up, with no CD inserted(and without pressing any keys), it says this:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"

The manual that came with the HDD's said to use thier bootable CD(instead of a boot disk) to format and partition the drives.

I did this and I thought I was ready to boot from OS disk. But u say I still need a floppy drive.

Do I still need to make a system disk?

Or do I need to download RAID drivers from somwhere?

thx alot and sorry for being a noob

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds