First-Time Beta Tester for BackUp App

Discussion in 'Software' started by rroberto18, May 8, 2010.

1. rroberto18

rroberto18 Private E-2

My PC IQ ranges greatly depending on the subject. But at best I'd consider myself a financially challenged 'Intermediate User' ...I have an 8 yr old Dell desktop tower running XP SP3 with 1G RAM and a Pentium 4 processor. Two internal HDs -- (a) an 80G C with my OS and some data ...(b) my F drive which is 100% data and downloaded program installers. Neither is over 50% full.

I'm maintenance savvy, so no malware and my WinXP SP3 continues to be stable.I run chkdsk regularly as well as having a solid anti-malware schedule. Used to run MyDefrag (also optimizes) but not recently because I rely on System Restore and was told it could disable the points (as Zone Alarm had done previously). But the My Defrag matter is not my primary question..

I need to ask about beta-testing as I'm a virgin in such matters.

I had been relying on external HDs with built-in back-up programs, but after my last died on me with no notice, I bought a 1T Western Digital that lacks backup software. (Advised that separate backup app is more reliable). I formatted my new G drive as NTFS to match my PC's internal HDs.

I then tried over 1 dozen backup apps (free and fee with free trial) and most never completed making a backup for a variety of different reasons.

I am in the midst of the free trial period of 2nd Copy Version 7 which seems the best fit for me. It completes backup operations. But it can't backup over 100 files because of their character filename length. That was the developer's support team's diagnosis after I had (with their emailed instructions) copied the log files and screen shots they needed, zipped them and sent them in.

2nd Copy's tech support said their beta version 8 could deal with longer filenames (as well as copying open files) . Then they surprisingly recruited me as a beta tester, even though I let them know I'd never been a beta tester before.

I feel somewhat less than competent and hope someone here can raise my beta testing knowledge level (and self-confidence in the process...). With a link or sage advice. Either or both welcomed,

I know enough to keep the program in a newly-created separate folder within C:/Program Files while testing it and to use my 1T WD external HD as the destination for my C & F sources.

For mysterious (to me) terminology in their brief beta tester instructions, I have adequate Google search talents.

But is there an equivalent of "Beta Testing For Dummies" ? No such working link via Google. Perhaps I can get the rest of my education here? :confused

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Beta testing is a good way to get your hands dirty so to speak with how an application is developed and you can also with feedback help change the way the software works or looks, I have been doing beta testing for Microsoft for many years.

All you need to do in the main to test an application is to use it as you normally would, then if the application breaks or crashes, make sure you write down the steps to re-create th ecrash, the error message and take a screenshot of any error messages to feedback to the test team.

They may give you scenarios to try, do run through them and feedback any issues you have, like are the menus easy to use, do they flow in a logical order, are their any GUI faults, icons wrong or text spelled incorrectly etc

But basically use the software as you normally would to do your backups and if things go wrong feedback as much info as possible, aslo fo you see things that could be made easier suggest them to the team in a DCR (Design Change Request).

Any good developer will try and get not only professional testers onboard but the average user, so just give it your best shot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds