Fix For Windows 7 Uodate Hanging

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrenPara, Aug 25, 2016.

1. GrenPara

GrenPara Private E-2

Hey guys & Gals,

I am just posting a link for those who have Windows 7 both 32 & 64 bit and have windows update hang for long periods without updating.
    I just got the fix today and applied it and the updates started almost within 20 seconds after the fix was applied.

The instructions/fix are at the following website and it is Microsoft.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t/28147a5f-b0b0-480b-bed9-834a2da7a375?auth=1

Anyways Hope it helps those who still have windows 7.
    Have a great day
    Gren

dr.moriarty, satrow and AtlBo like this.
  2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks, Gren.

That post is pretty busy, the Advanced one looks much easier to me, I'll try it next time I get the chance :D

I use this method (though it too, looks very wordy, probably due to a seemingly literal translation): http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-07.htm, there's no KB3172605/3020369 required, no Windows Catalog/IE requirement, just KB3138612 for most W7 users (the script is superfluous). This also works (with different KBs listed) for Vista and (probably) W8.1 as well.

The common factors appear to be the disabling and stopping of Windows Update and the reboot (which are the parts I suspect some users miss when they report back that it fails).

dr.moriarty and AtlBo like this.
  3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have an issue with those instructions in the MS articles. The one patch mentioned from July 2016, KB3172605 is a "bundled" update. Something in the bundle breaks Blutooth on Intel computers.
    I made the note on this and did not install it on any computer. Eventually I'd discover my blutooth doesn't work. If I'm lucky I'd remember that patch but chances are good I would not remember and go crazy trying to determine why blutooth no longer works.

Has MS fixed the Blutooth issue and re-issued this broken bundle?

4. satrow

The reason I mentioned KB3172605 as not being needed using the Dalai/krelay topic is that I'd also ascertained (back ~2 months ago and commented on one of Woody's articles on the subject) that it wasn't required to get WU working, I didn't know at that time that it broke BT, just that we had no real idea of what it contained back then.

I don't think MS will reissue it, they seemed sure that the 'fault' lay with Intel's drivers (I may have dreamed it but I think I saw somewhere that Intel had, or were about to, released updated BT drivers.

On this rig, a clean SP1 install in January, I'm fully updated except for 3 hidden and 26 optional updates but there's no sign of KB3172605 anywhere, perhaps WU has pulled it or rated it below Optional, so that you have to seek it out now?

5. plodr

6. satrow

Good find.

Sounds like a plan (though I don't trust Intel's detection routines) :D

7. plodr

I didn't either. I decided to pass on the Intel rummaging through the computer.

8. Ninefifty

Ninefifty Private First Class

Hi All,
    This post worked absolutely swell for me.
    In summary, turn off windows automatic update.
    Reboot.
    Install KB3020369
    Reboot
    Install KB3172605
    Reboot
    Then use your check for update feature.
    It's recommended you do not use your pc for anything else and the update process will take hours so best leave your pc on overnight.
    Turning on automatic update after this has worked isn't encouraged. Manual check is best.

Worked on both my pc's running Win7, one of which was a secondhand pc for testing but both had service packs 1.

9. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the info/help !
    The ms commuity forum post (per your 'answers.microsoft.com' link) was very helpful !

We had previously reinstalled W7/SP1 (from Dell installation/driver disks) on a new replacement hd in an existing Dell 5721 and when tried ControlPanel/WindowsUpdate it ran for almost 24hrs (b4 shut it off) and still no updates found.

Tried 'Windows6.1-KB3138612-x64Microsoft. Update Standalone Package (.msu)', per another ms website suggestion, and it had the similar problem.

Tried your ms forum link directions/KBs and after installed found 226 updates in 5min.
    And as the forum link discussion suggested, I will not be installing all of them, but at least there are choices, and some of our programs will not even work without some of the updates.

Ps:
    Although, probably will be installing at least all the 'Security Updates', unless someone here has some other thoughts ?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  10. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Thees so called fix's don't work they are all the same kind.I have tried every single one i could find and some of my own.And still nothing on the windows update fix for windows 7.

You will have to install the Windows 7 updates manually.

I think Microsoft completely disabled the windows update features.And only made it available for windows 8,8.1 and windows 10.

I have tried every thing from Windows registry fix's and simple stuff and software.And even talked to the Microsoft people them self's.

Either Windows 7 update is broken or disabled one of the two.

I can not test my theory with Windows xp be cause my systems will not support any thing lower than windows 7.

And i all ready posted some thing like that web page like a month ago.

11. satrow

They DO work, you only need to read and follow the instructions carefully.

12. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I did lol three or four times i could never get them to work.

13. satrow

14. plodr

satrow likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds