Fixed Drive showing as Removable Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soonercntry, Mar 16, 2008.

1. soonercntry

soonercntry Private E-2

I have a slave drive (E:) that is now showing as a removable drive. I simply used it to store data, but now it's just showing as a removable drive.

Anyone ever dealt with this before? Know of a way to retrieve my data?

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

i'm assuming it's a sata drive? if so, i've been seeing alot of this lately. anyway, have you tried rebooting (to see if you can access your data)? are you getting an error message when trying to access/retreive your data (if so, what)? more details would help. what is your os, etc? - sos

3. kestrel1

kestrel1 Private E-2

You could try a Linux Live CD, such as Ubuntu or Puppy Linux. You should be able to gain access to your drive from either of these live CD's.

4. soonercntry

soonercntry Private E-2

A reboot fixed it. I've got XP Pro as my OS, sata drive.

I wasn't getting an error message. Whenever I tried to access the drive, that had been renamed "Removable", i got a message that said,"drive not formatted, would you like to format?"

Don't know what happened, but I don't want it to happen again

5. kestrel1

kestrel1 Private E-2

Oh, the joys of Windows.:D:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds