Flash Drive no media detected.

Discussion in 'Software' started by jgarder, Apr 28, 2010.

1. jgarder

jgarder Private E-2

im trying to help out a girl, she doesnt know what happend. her computer crashed and restarted and now her usb drive doesnt work..

right now im on windows 7, it came broke from a vista computer, and i've tested it on an XP sp3 computer.

windows see its, recognizes it.. gives it a label and calls it media, but it has 0mb of capacity.
    clicking on it yields "please insert disk into D:".

I have changed the volume letter, and tried to change the volume name..
    i have tried to use various recovery tools, all of which detect no media.
    I have attempted to format the drive with multiple tools, all of which discover no media.
    of course all windows disk management tool are of no use.

---
    disk : disk 1
    Type : Removable
    partition style : MBR
    capacity : 0mb
    unallocated : 0mb
    Reserved : 0mb
    ---

This drive has all of her final papers for this semester, its important.

Its a PNY 4gb flashdrive.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Seems to me a data recovery program is in your immediate future... check out this thread where we suggest numerous programs to recover data from a USB flash drive.... good luck!

3. jgarder

jgarder Private E-2

windows doesnt even recognize any media.. it just knows theres a flash drive.. i cant format it and no programs see any drive to recover files from.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Tried linux? Boot up a linux live CD and mount the USB stick. Sometimes linux can see things that windows can not. If the live CD sees the files, plug another USB device into the computer, mount it and copy the files from the non-cooperative stick the the other USB device (another stick or even a larger capacity external hard drive).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds