Flash Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jayboy67, Nov 29, 2004.

1. jayboy67

jayboy67 Private E-2

Need some advice on Flash Drives (FDs). I have a need for 128mb FD but find a large range in prices. $11.99 to well over $50. Can't really see much difference in specs so why such a large variations in price. Any ideas welcome.

2. JimU

JimU Private E-2

Mostly competition which is driving prices down on many hardware items. I paid close to $35 for a 128 mg flash drive a year ago and now it's a 1/3rd the cost.

Almost any will work fine. Get the cheapest as their simplistic in operation. All you do is plug it into a USB port and Windows Explorer shows a "removable drive". Very handy.

Have a good day! :)

jnulr

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Does this work the same way in W98SE. I am thinking of buying a 1 gig USB2.0 but my USB is 1.1 and I can't change it on my laptop. I dont mind the slower speed as long as it works. Bazza

===

4. coathanger007

coathanger007 Private E-2

Windows 98 SE won't automatically recognise the USB drive. You'll have to manually install the drivers yourself. Also, you should realize that USB 1.1 is painfully slow especially when dealing with 1G.B of info. Though your PC doesn't currently support 2.0 it sure will in the future. Also, lotsa other PCs will support 2.0 ;)

5. JimU

JimU Private E-2

Like "Coathanger" said, it won't automatically be recognized without loading drivers for it in Win98.

However, in regard to the speed, my computer isn't USB 2.0 savey either and I'm using a flash drive (USB 1.1 only 128megs) and I find it very handy.

I could put in a PCI card (I have a desktop) to make it 2.0 compatible but the only thing I find I'm lacking is the speed to my printer which is 2.0 compatible. So, I am considering a USB 2.0 pci card to take advantage of the speed to my printer. This won't help my USB flash drive however as it's only 1.1 compatible.

I realize having a laptop you won't have this option unless it's also available in a pcmcia card.

Remember, all 2.0 Flash drives are "backward compatible" so IT WILL WORK on your computer.

Enjoy your new flash drive! :)

jnulr

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks JimU and Coathanger007. My laptop is 5 years old and comes standard with USB 1.1 built in. The USA price for the 1 gig device is about the same price as a 128/256mb in OZ.

I want to download the "Essential downloads" folder from my laptop, to the USB device, so I can cart it with me to help out folks here in Cairns. Speed of download and upload won't matter greatly as long as W98SE/USB 1.1 drivers come with it. Bazza
    ===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds