Flash Player Install Problem Resolved

Discussion in 'Software' started by patfrompenge, Dec 31, 2010.

1. patfrompenge

patfrompenge Private E-2

Hi

For some weeks sites have been telling me that I need to down load the latest version of Flash Player. Desite several (make that very many) attempts at downloading and getting FP to work the message persisted until about 40 minutes ago.

I am not very computer literate and think that if I have resolved the problem it is more by accident than design but I thought it may be worth trying to relay as much as I can remember about what steps I took before the problem resolved itself. My computer has Windows XP.

Although I would have thought it unrelated to my attempts to resolve the Flash problem I think I should mention that I started tonight by trying to download the latest version of Yahoo Messenger. But I received a messsage saying that Google Chrome was preventing some aspect of the download. So via the control panel I used the uninstall on Google Chrome. The latest version of Yahoo then downloaded withot any further error messages.

Then at some point when trying to get Flash Player to work I saw a snippet somewhere that mentioned Java Scripts being necessary to install Flash.

Having read a few MG threads on the Flash Player problem I put Norton to sleep for 1 hour then downloaded the latest version of Java - then uninstalled all the old versions of Java.

I then went into Windows security centre and set protections to their minimum which seem to be medium but the Firewall was switched off already.

Then instead of clicking on a link on a third party web site I did a Google search for Flash Player Install but specified UK sites only. This brought up what appeared to be an Adobe Flash download with a screen configured differently to the one I normally got taken to when I clicked on a third party web site link to Flash Player.

I downloaded from the UK basd site and then re-started my computer.

At this stage the the web site i visited still said that I needed to install the latest Flash Player. As a naieve belt and braces attempt I downloaded Flash Player again but this time from the non-uk based link.

Hey Presto the blank window that had the message telling me I needed to install the latest Flash Player now had an image in it.

I then reset my Norton protections by hitting the Fix button and I am just about to restore the aotomatic Windows Security levels.

As I said before, I am not a computer competant guy and there may be some stage in what I did tonight that I have totally overlooked. But on the off chance that what I did my be of some use when you are considering the advice you provide to guys just like me I felt I owed a debt of gratitude to relay my success due to the previous help I received from Major Geeks.

If you feel that anything I have written may send readers down the wrong road or create other potential problems please be assured that I will not be offended if you take this message down as my primary intention was to pass information onto the site aministrator and volunteer helpers for consideration.

Kind regards
    Pat from Penge

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds