Flash Player vs Shockwave Player.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eldon, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do I need both Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Shockwave Player? Basically, I would like to know what is the purpose/advantage of the latter over the former? I do watch online videos but don't play online games.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hey Eldon...

The only thing shockwave that I have run across since Win 98 (that I remember) is a shockwave active x control in MS Office 2007 that enables inserting of videos into documents. Based on that I would say Flash is all that is needed by most...

3. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

I wouldn't think you need Shockwave unless you're a game developer or some such. Not the definitive guide, but for what its worth:

Check the "Applications" and "Security" sections. Should help you decide whether or not you need/want to install it.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks to both.

I am going to uninstall both with Revo Uninstaller, then download only the Adobe Flash Player ActiveX, and see if any online experiences change.

The Security section on the Wikipedia* page is interesting, quoting Brian Krebs, who is one of the people at the forefront of security issues.

*Wikipedia has it's fair share of distractersrolleyes and criticsrolleyes, but it's still the best place to find info on any subject. And at the bottom of every page there's always a list of references - which was not written by Wikipedia's authors.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds