Flash runs REALLY slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by XTAL256, Sep 2, 2009.

1. XTAL256

XTAL256 Private First Class

I often play flash games on the internet and i frequently find that after 10-15min of playing the CPU usage jumps from ~50% to 100%. The game is fine for the first 10min but then it jumps to 100% CPU until i switch to another application window which is maximised and the CPU drops to 5-10%, i assume because it isn't rendering the game (but it's still running in the background). Then a few minutes after i switch back it happens again, and occurs more and more frequently. Here is a screenshot of the CPU usage:
    [​IMG]
    I have drawn a red line indicating the average CPU usage when the game is running, the jump to 100%, down to ~5% when the game goes to the background, and finally back up to normal game CPU usage.
    Memory does not seem to increase so it's not a memory leak, and it happens when i run games in Firefox, Opera and IE7. The same thing happens with all flash games so it's probably a Flash's fault not the game programmer's.
    I have a laptop, Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz, 1.5Gb RAM.

As a computer programmer i (obviously) have some insight into how computers work and although i do not know how Flash works i could made some educated guesses as to what might be going on under the covers. Well the only thing i could think of is either the programmer is really stupid and uses a very inefficient algorithm for something (as i mentioned previously), or Flash is doing something really stupid like creating a new image object at a different x,y position every time the image is moved.
    Well here is proof that i am (sadly) right. I was just browsing on GameDev.net and i found this post:
    So, what do you think? How many other people are having this problem, and is the above quote the actual cause or is it something else? And, or course, can i do anything to fix it?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version you using and is it fully upto date?

Thoughts initially are that flash has had some bad times of late with a few exploits etc, so is your Flash version the latest available, if not use the Flash uninstaller tool and then run CCleaner to clean out the temps and registry, then install the latest version of Flash from HERE

Also in case its another add-on causing this, click tools > manage add-ons and disable all non microsoft ones apart from adobe flash and shockwave plugins.

What is your Antivirus and Security applications, possible one of them is scanning the flash game, disable to test.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

There may also be some process running from Task Scheduler, you should be able to check this from the control Panel.

There's a great IE/Flash troubleshooting session recounted in Mark's Blog, the tools he used (he also wrote them) are here.

4. XTAL256

@Halo: My OS is Windows XP SP3 and as up-to-date as i know of.
    What are these "exploits" you are talking about? Like a virus or something? I have been having this problem for over a year now and i updated to the latest Flash version (10 i think) quite a while ago but it didn't fix anything.
    I will try that uninstaller tool and clean out the registry then reinstall Flash, hopefully that will help. I used CCleaner before but i did not know it was free, when i used it i could only fix ~6 issues then it told me to buy the full version (at least i think that was CCleaner).
    Oh, and my antivirus is Norton. I will try disabling it and see if that makes any difference, although i am not sure it is the problem (i wouldn't be surprised though, it likes to scan everything excessively).

@satrow: thanks for the link, i will have a read of it. And i already have the Sysinternals utilities but thanks for that link too :)

5. XTAL256

Nope, reinstalling didn't help :(
    I tried playing a simple flash game (Rustyard from Nitrome) and CPU jumped about a minute after i started playing and the frame rate dropped to about 3-5fps.
    Here is another screenshot just to emphasise how much of a problem this is:
    [​IMG]
    The game is just a simple 2D game with no special effects other than the scrolling transparent fog in the background, it would fun better in a Java applet yet it absolutely cripples Flash.
    Unfortunately it seems to be a bug which Adobe probably see as a minor, low priority issue because most people these days have a dual-core machine and won't notice it. That is no excuse to ignore it and allow a perfectly good ~3 year old laptop to run like it is 10 years old! It looks like the only way i am going to resolve this issue is to buy a new computer.

6. XTAL256

Hi again. This is kind of an old thread by now but i just want to point out something that just happened to me. I was watching a video in Flash, which was not surprisingly using 100% CPU, and within 2 minutes my laptop over-heated and shut down. Now that's just how bad Flash is. Ok, so my Toshiba Satellite has over-heating problems, but that should not stop me from watching more than 2 minutes of a roughly 600x400 resolution video.
    [/rant]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds