Flashing power light, pc won't start!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DreamJocki, Jul 30, 2005.

1. DreamJocki

DreamJocki Private E-2

Plz help me, I have a Compaq Presario S6020WM computer. I had to shut it down last night due to a severe lightening storm. Now it won't restart. The power light just flashes green but nothing else will happen. No fans, no noise, no anything. I stumbled across your forum while searching for a possible cause. I don't know any other info to give you except it has WIN XP, as far as any other specs I don't know, I'm not very computer savvy with the internal aspect of the computer.

Could someone please help me? I'm using my daughter's computer right now to search for any information. I will check back to see if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks In Advance, ~ Lisa

2. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Have you tried disconecting the power from the computer and leaving it for about 30 seconds, then reconnect the power and try again :)

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Dead psu my friend, you will have to buy a new one.

4. DreamJocki

DreamJocki Private E-2

I have disconnected the power cord so many times I've lost count. I've also swapped out power cords and it still does the same thing. The power light is flashing green.

If I disconnect the power cord the flashing slows down a bit, and once I plug it back in the flashing gets a little faster.

While there is no power going to the computer, the light will still flash. It takes about 2 to 3 minutes before the light goes out. But once the power is back on the light starts flashing again. Grrrrrrr :confused:

5. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Have you checked with the manufactures homepage, there may be a Q/A section in there that can answer that puzzle. if the PSU was completely dead the light wouldnt even be doing that, so my guess is it could be a motherboard problem, as the light is connected to the motherboard, and that particular motherboard may use the power light to symbolise on board faults (some boards have lights on the board for this, usually red or amber) but if you can, do try another PSU, or if your still under warrenty, have someone come out and check it for you before you start tinkering inside the computer as this will void your warrenty

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Did you leave your computer plugged into the power outlet or the internet?Your computer may have fallen victim to a power surge or electromagnetic pulse from a lightning bolt.

[​IMG]

7. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Happened to me last year with my old psu and classic flat case, as apose to the tower units you now have.

8. DreamJocki

DreamJocki Private E-2

Its WAS the PSU!! The only extra one I has one hand was out of a dinasour 98. It plugged up but won't fit in the back on the computer, but it worked none the less. I'm posting this message from the computer that would not start. ;)

I will now begin my search for the proper PSU for it, I just wanted to let you know I'm up and running (well patched actually :) ) and to say thanks for the assistance.

Thanks Again, ~ Lisa

9. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I love my UPS.

10. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Told ya it was psu :p

Get a fancy case with a psu hehe :)

11. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Perhaps I should be more clear.

I love my UPS

Power failure? Meh. Lightning strike? Whatever. Dirty power? Pfft.

12. Rikky

A lightning strike can fry your computer even if its not plugged into anything,,If you get a 12v battery and arc it out with a peice of wire,the tiny spark sends an electromagnetic pulse that you can see on a tv just watch it flicker,a lightning bolt has the same effect,its just a hell of alot bigger spark,that can have enough power to fry sensitive components inside a pc.

[​IMG]

13. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Unless a PC is plugged in, there is no reason for electricity to jump into it. Sure, it might decide to because electricity is freaky like that, but generally it seeks the easiest path to ground. Going inside my house and finding a random metal box not connected to anything (and probably sitting on rubber or plastic "feet") is really, really unlikely.

14. Rikky

OOOhhhhh, :) heated debate,every spark produces an electro magnetic pulse,a spark from a battery,a lightning bolt,ect,its how the first radios were made.An electromagnetic pulse has the ability to enduce current into anything metal,if you bridge a battery and cause a spark near a tv set the picture will flicker because the emp educed a current into the aerial of the tv,that spark was only say 12v10 amps and it could make your tv flicker,every other metal object in the room absorbs some of this electricity,computers,cables,TV,fillings in your teeth"If you have the nice non toxic murcury ones I have",If you up the voltage to say 1,000,000 with 100.000 amps the same power as a lightning bolt the current it can enduce in near by objects is enough to damage them.

its all pretty improbable but it does happen,thats why we are the developing the EMP bomb,to knock out communications of the enemy.

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds