Flickering strobe effect on new LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smolloy, Feb 27, 2012.

1. smolloy

smolloy Private E-2

Hi All
    I'm new to this forum and hope one of you might have some idea how to help me.
    I have just replaced a cracked netbook screen and the replacement flickers on and off like a strobe light. I thought the new screen was at fault so returned it and they sent me another which has exactly the same problem. So my guess is it's not the screen. I have reseated all the cables and checked the connections are tight. The replacement is definitely the correct one for the machine. you can see the problem here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkttCKYGGNk&feature=channel

I've googled the problem and I've watched way too many youtube vids trying to find the answer but no-one seems to have the same problem. Please help!

Sarah

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , welcome to MG's :major , are you trying to connect laptop via external monitor ? What is your laptop's model ? :wave

3. smolloy

smolloy Private E-2

Hi Thanks for the reply. No I'm not trying to connect to a monitor. I was just showing that the monitor output is fine. It's the actual netbook screen that is flickering as you can see on the video. The original is cracked and unusable. The netbook is an MSI U130. I've replaced loads of screens and never had this problem before. I was looking at getting a new video cable for it if I cant find a solution, but the repair will end up costing more than the netbook itself :cry

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

There's a problem with either the inverter or the CCFL backlight,a new monitor cable won't fix it.

The first thing to check is the model number of the screen,they have to be almost identical,if they're not most of the time they work then sooner or later the screen stops working or the inverter because one or the other is out of spec so that's where I'd start.

The problem I'm seeing suggests the inverter in the laptop doesn't have the power to start up the CCFL so I would suggest the screen you have chosen is too bright for the inverter.

Post the exact model numbers of both screens and serial number for reference and the webpage where you bought it,also post the model of laptop including serial number.

Also can you post the wattage rating of the new screen and the wattage rating on the side of the inverter "the little box that plugs into the screen power connector"

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. Rikky

7. smolloy

smolloy Private E-2

Thanks I'll post 2 pics of the backs of the screens. the 1st one is the original, the 2nd is the replacement. I can't find any wattage info for either screen.

Attached Files:

8. Rikky

The screen you have chosen has nearly twice the brightness of the old screen so it won't work.

http://www.lcds4less.co.uk/Chunghwa-laptop-lcd-screens/CLAA102NA0ACW.shtml

http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail_parameter.php?id=2621

After googling these panels I read somewhere that the original spec panel is no longer is production and many retailers offer a 10inch panel of the same spec that will work albeit 0.2 inches smaller although I don't have a link.

9. smolloy

smolloy Private E-2

would a 10" fit? or be noticeable if it did?

10. smolloy

smolloy Private E-2

I cant believe I didn't notice the different code! I'm such a doofus. Thanks for your help. I can find refurbed ones but they aint cheap so don't think I'll bother. Just use it for spares.

11. Rikky

Its all model specific so without the model in front of me I can't really say,there will be 0.1inch or 2.5mm all the way round the screen but if you look at most laptops they already have this black band around them and you never notice because its dark so the only caveat is it would be larger.

I don't think anyone who attempts a laptop screen repair is a doofus:-D

12. smolloy

smolloy Private E-2

Thanks for all your help... managed to find the correct replacement screen it works a treat and the owner is very happy I was able to salvage the machine.
    Sarah

13. Rikky

No problem I'm just glad it wasn't binned.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds