Floppy Drive strange noises

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by puzzled geezer, Dec 24, 2007.

1. puzzled geezer

puzzled geezer Private E-2

Ive had this issue for some time now with my floppy drive making strange grinding noises whenever i boot up, shut down or log off my computer. It also happens when i right click the floppy drive icon on my computer and further proof that this is the culprit whenever these grinding sounds occur ive noticed that the light next to the floppy drive goes green. I have a few questions about this:

1. can whatevers wrong with the floppy drive affect startup of my pc ie timewise etc.

2. Can i remove the floppy drive (since ive never used it and never will)

3. this should fix the problem?

many thanks for any time you can spare to help me solve this problem

ps: merry christmas:)

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

The noises you hear are fairly common, you can remove it with no problems. ed

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I second this statement. ;)
    My floppy drive also makes a bit of noise right when I power up. This sound is the head recalibrating and moving to track 0 (even when there's no disk in there, floppy drives do this when power is first applied). If you remove the drive, be sure to go into your BIOS and disable the on board floppy controller. Many times it's labeled as "Integrated FDC" in the BIOS.

:wine Happy Holidays! :dancer

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It might be your antivirus checking the drive. Put a floppy (blank or used) in the drive and keep it in while the computer is running. Then before you shut down, remove the floppy. The next time you boot up the computer, the floppy drive will probably be quieter. My av goes crazy once in a while and that's what I do to get it settled down.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds