Folder Not Created By Me - Homegroup Related?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Michael1980, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Michael1980

Michael1980 Private First Class

hi

i noticed a folder titled "4860c062165c6aca41" appears on a internal drive (not OS drive) on my desktop computer that i share two media folders with my homegroup. i only share those two media folders (music and video files) on my homegroup with my laptop. this is the second time i noticed that folder appearing. i don't remember if it had that exact title for the folder but it was similar. according to windows explorer it said that folder had the date modified this morning at 5:23 am. i wasn't on the computer at that time or the laptop. also, when i click to open the folder it asks for permission first. when i close the folder then it shows a lock symbol next to the folder. keep in mind i keep my desktop computer set to run all the time, and my laptop i shut off. the reason why i have the desktop run all the time is cause i sometimes leave it on to convert videos on "convertxtodvd" or run something else overnight. im not sure if a hacker created that folder or its something to do with my homegroup. can someone help me stop from this folder appearing and shed some light on why this is happening? thanks in advance. this has got me nervous. i hope i don't have to reformat my computer cause i just did already recently and it's a pain to have to reinstall everything after that.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi What Windows Version and Service Pack you using?

have you run antivirus apps to check on malware, although I don't thing you have malware, I think this is a temp folder you can just delete.

3. Michael1980

hi david

my windows version is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1

yes i ran scans with Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2013 (Subscription) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO 1.65.0.1400.

yeah this folder has appeared once before. However after posting my initial message i decided to not delete it until after i heard from you guys. the next day i noticed it was gone. i didn't delete it. i don't know how it disappeared. do you know why it did that or what i can do to prevent from this folder from appearing again? like i said this is getting me nervous cause it's so strange and i don't know what to make of it.

4. Michael1980

has anyone out there ever experienced this kind of problem? david, do you know what it can be?

please let me know. thanks!

5. evti

evti Private E-2

I get those folders popping up once in a while. I don't think much of it, since they're mostly temp files, and appear on external harddrives, flash drives, and whatnot. I do my virus scanning regularly, so I am confident they're not malicious. I never really thought of them as being malicious since I know they generally correspond with mounting drives and whatnot. So it might have to do with homegroups since those are kind of like mounting drives.

6. Michael1980

hi evti

oh ok i see. yeah back when i made the original post i was using the homegroup feature the night before i noticed the folder that appeared. i guess im alright then. thanks for clearing that up evti.

i hope people don't mind but i had one more quick question but it's not the same topic. is there such a virus or malware that can cause your cpu meter gadget to report false readings? it's not maxed out but it shows extremely low readings most of the time. i believe this gadget is a windows 7 feature in the gadgets menu when you right click the desktop. im not sure if there's something wrong with my computer thats why regarding the constant low readings. cause i am always multitasking.

7. evti

evti Private E-2

This seems unlikely, but then again anything is possible these days. If you are concerned, you might want to test it out by giving your CPU a stress test just to see if it goes up at all. If it doesn't, then you might want to investigate.

8. Michael1980

hi evti

tried a stress test on the CPU and it went up a lot. i was converting a video file with convertxtodvd. after i was done it went back down. so it seems there's nothing wrong with it. thanks for the advice in regards to my questions in this thread. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds