Folder refuses to be deleted

Discussion in 'Software' started by seven7, Jul 20, 2005.

1. seven7

seven7 Private E-2

I was reorganizing my Favorites folders in Firefox and thought I had the need to create a new folder for some miscellaneous favorites. I created the folder, then decided I didn't need it. If I right-click on it, the delete option is grayed out.

How can I get rid of it? It's empty and has no name.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I assume rebooting did nothing? And it's greyed out if you go into Managing Bookmarks (on the Bookmarks menu)?

If you can read HTML, you can manually edit your bookmarks.html filea and remove the offending section. It should be located here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user ID>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<randomcharacters>.default\bookmarks.html

Note that Application Data is a hidden folder.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

The thing about firefox, is that there are so many versions. I'm currently on build 20050719 of firefox, if I had a problem, only individuals who could help me, would be the ones who had similar builds (not always the case).

What version are you running? That could be an open bug with firefox, or it maybe something that has not been discovered.

If you think you found a new bug, simply go here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

Otherwise, follow Da Chicken's post.

4. seven7

seven7 Private E-2

I'm using version 1.0.6. I tried da chicken's suggestion with no success.

5. seven7

seven7 Private E-2

Da chicken, I found the bookmarks.html file as you suggested, but I don't seem to be able to edit it.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Open bookmarks.html with MS Word and delete the offending line.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Or notepad.

8. seven7

seven7 Private E-2

Thanks to 'puter_dude for suggesting using MS-Word to edit the bookmarks.htm file. The empty folder has disappeared. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds