Folders Turned Into Files (XP)

Discussion in 'Software' started by FieroGT42, Jul 27, 2007.

1. FieroGT42

FieroGT42 Private E-2

Windows XP Home, fresh install
    HDD in 3 partitions:
    · C: (NTFS) for Windows & Apps
    · D: (FAT32) for most data
    · E: (FAT32) for massive files (I know, nothing over XX size on FAT, but it still works)
    Other hardware is entirely unimportant. Other software is largely nonexistent at this point. I'm only now re-installing basic drivers.

C: was formatted for the reinstallation. The other partitions were perfect before the install. I reinstalled XP on C: without touching the other partitions.

Now suddenly many of my important folders are gone and replaced by files of the same name (no extension) of 16Kb in size. Now, isn't that the size a folder takes up on FAT32?

The created/modified dates appear to be unchanged. I'm guessing from the % free space that the files are marked as free space. I can't express in any human language the importance of a few of the folders that are now defunct.

What happened and how do I get it back? Is this some massive failure of the Windows chkdisk? Is it a known issue? Since this is a FAT32 drive, are the directory structures and files likely to be intact? What program is best for restoring them? I've used several to undelete or recover lost files, partitions, partition tables, etc. before.

And BTW, I'm a programmer, PC tech, and IT Systems Analyst so I'll probably understand just about anything you throw at me.

Have at it! Thanks!

-----

Edit: Scanning with a basic undelete tool shows tons of folders and files modified at about the same time, but the filenames all follow the scheme "FILExxxx.CHK" where xxxx is a number. Has Windows totally wiped out the filenames and nested directory structure? Is there some way to rebuild the directory structure with the existing folder-files?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Running chkdsk on the affected partitions may help; it certainly shouldn't hurt anything (in my experience, it's never caused any problems). PCInspector is a free data recovery program that may help: http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
    This is on the MajorGeeks front page and may be of help also: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Partition_Find_&_Mount_d5740.html I've had Windows XP reloads do all sorts of strange things to 'in place' data and your situaution isn't unheard of.... give me some time, and I'll try to find a more solid solution for you. Windows.... you just never know..... I think the MS Knowledge Base is a good place to start...... good luck, and keep us posted!

hd2k

3. FieroGT42

FieroGT42 Private E-2

Chkdsk bad. My research on Google, etc. has turned up very little, but this is apparently a result of chkdsk. I haven't found a solution though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds