Folding@Home running commentary thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldfish, Sep 18, 2004.

1. smokinbls

smokinbls the title thing is overrated

thank for letting me know about the switch.
    my friend has 2 towers to 1 monitor. i did not know that you can connect the mouse to all the towers.
    so let me get this right 1 monitor, 1 mouse, 5 towers that really would keep the area clean

P.S. it was/is a P3 900mghz, and i forgot that i had bought a case also ( so it could be 8 )

2. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Yep,1 monitor 1 mouse 1 keyboard with seven computers possible on my setup. Could put another KVM and connect more.

3. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

so are you just daisy chaining them mgrist?
    by the way whats up old man? haven't really talked to you in a while.

eric

4. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Smokin,,if ya get those PC's my christmas present to you will be a 5 port auto detecting switch,,I just happen to have ,(GlennGEEK)<<<<<<<,,:) :) :)

5. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Yeah I passed Bluesman again. Im up by 27 points!!! :D :D :D :D

Take that Blues!!!!! :p :p :p :p :p :p

:cool:

cooked

6. smokinbls

smokinbls the title thing is overrated

hay i will let you know in december

7. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Hey big boy! I've been working full time for somebody else. Over the last twenty years I pretty much worked for myself, so this steady 10 hours a day is killing me. Been over a month now and I'm still not used to it. It's tough on an old man and I'm in good shape. Glad I didn't let myself go over the years, I'd be dead :D
    Not sure what you mean by daisy chaining them. I have a four port KVM, it will run four computers from one mouse, monitor, key board. On one port instead of running the cable to a computer I ran it to the input of another KVM switch. So once I switch to that port I then have to use the switch on the second KVM. It was easy stuff, shoot I did it, it must be.

8. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Don't look now cooked. Blues must of cranked out a tinker or two.

9. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

that my old friend is daisy chaining at its finest.
    :D :p :cool:

eric

10. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Hey all. hope your weekend is good so far:)

Looks like I pulled a beta unit to run,,not on unit summery page..display just shows AMBER PMD CORE:confused: ,,,,and also DLed a new type of core componant,,catch ya later on the boards, Glenn:) :) :) also back in 10th place for the moment LMAO

[18:25:22]
    [18:25:22] + Processing work unit
    [18:25:22] Core required: FahCore_82.exe
    [18:25:22] Core found.
    [18:25:22] Working on Unit 06 [October 16 18:25:22]
    [18:25:22] + Working ...
    [18:25:22] *------------------------------*
    [18:25:22] Folding@Home PMD Core
    [18:25:22] Version 1.00 (Oct 5, 2004)
    [18:25:22] Preparing to commence simulation
    [18:25:22] - Looking at optimizations...
    [18:25:22] - Created dyn
    [18:25:22] - Files status OK
    [18:25:22] - Expanded 29453 -> 184387 (decompressed 626.0 percent)
    [18:25:22] Project: 583 (Run 76, Clone 49, Gen 3)
    [18:25:22] Assembly optimizations on if available.
    [18:25:22] Entering M.D.
    [18:25:29] Completed 0 out of 500000 steps (0)

11. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Hello everybody, just thought that I would announce that I have finally given up lurking and joined the folding team! by tonight I should have a few comps going about 24/7. Just wanted the move the team ahead!

btw does it usually take 3-4 days for one WU to complete?

12. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

Hello Destructo
    welcome to MG and the folding team

13. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

a big WELCOME to the folding team. now contrary to what you think we are not crazy, at least the rest of the team isn't. no one knows about glenn or me, the jury is still out i guess. :D :D be sure to join in on all fun down here on bottom of the boards, and glenn v2.0 in the lounge.

eric

14. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

WELCOME ABOARD !!!

The time per unit varies there are 2 types Tinkers, and Gromacs, The Tinkers are usually 2-3 days, and the gromacs varie from 5 hr to the longest run 48 hrs,this is based on myP4 2.8mhz,,,But it is all relitive , the unit points are calculated by the complexity of the work unit, and the amount of processor time,,,also you can set your client(standard) to draw the type you desire to run for the mostpart, with special software you can ABSOLUTLY chose the unit type,,Stanford sends out what THEY need done in sequence,,

After you recieve a WU you can search it on this webpage from Stanford, and have the point value for the unit at hand,also other helpfull info about unit and what it is actually doing for Stanfords research , also A warm welcome to our folding team, and look forward to seeing you on the boards, Glenn

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html

PS THANKS ERIC LMAO

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  15. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

glad you liked it glenn. :D :D :D

eric

16. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Thanks for the welcome everyone and the info glen. I guess this wu should be done by tues.......well rome wasn't built in a day. Hopefully when I get home I'll get somthing a bit speedier.

Thanks for the invite to the other threads eric (& better crazy than normal :p ). I am a newbie to posting but definitely a veteran lurker!!

folding@fullspeed.yes!

17. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

OK after reasearch this is what I came up with for the new WU,,,indeed it required the new core just released oct 04,,,Glenn I am running 583<<< 4 hrs to completion

Projects 580-589​

[​IMG]
    Project 580-589 (protein name : BBA5_N) analyze folding of BBA5. BBA5 is a small protein with 23 amino acids with a well-known folded state.
    These projects are Gromacs work units and has a variety of WU sizes and credits. Also, some of them will be WUs for newly developed core (to be released in Oct. 2004). Please see our Project Summary page for details.

18. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

The jury isn't out young-un they have already passed their verdict to the Judge.

their coming to take me away ha ha, their coming to take me away he he, to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time, and I can't wait to see the nice young men in their pretty white coats, their coming to take me away ha ha ho ho he he to the funny farm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. jarcher

sweet. . . . .

20. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yikes!!!!! Damn Blues give me a chance. ;) :D

I walked into my room today to find that my computer was turned off! It wasnt folding for 12 hours. I guess on of my cats steped on the little button on the surge protector, and shut off everything. :(

:cool:

cooked

21. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

...oh yeah, Destructo, almost forgot to tell you to watch out for the crazy old man mgrist. he'll start rambling about being too old or some crap like that, all you got to do is make fun of his age and he'll shut up. :D :D :D :p :p :p ;)

eric

22. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

So finally got home...now when you are running on multiple machines is it common to be working on the same WU as my other comp? Or is that wierd?

Also I have a wierd video card error when I first bring the folding screen up (ati 9600xt) anyway just a side note if anyone else has had it happened. I will post later on if it happens again since I forgot to remember any helpful info on it.

thanks

the new guy
    how old is old? I dont look it but I sure do feel now and again.

23. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Yes wierd, on the double unit there.:confused: ..if little time vested in one of them I can tell you how to remove the existing work unit with the least tiime in !!! ;) and get a new one, Glenn

I truely do not know about processing the unit twice and recieving points twice,,does not add up LOL..uunless Stanford has varient information imbedded in the work unit itself....scratching head:confused: ,,,,no video probles here

the middle age guy LOL :p

@Mgrist,,you run the most,,ever double up ????----------anyone ?????????????

24. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

yeah please let me know because i have my store one on autopilot and its not due to finish until Tues so if i can reset is somehow that would be great.

up and coming thirty-something

actually I just double checked this one and it is not due to end until tues dec 4.....anyone had one that long? Or am I not seeing something here?

25. rmsubasic

rmsubasic XP-38 Spacemodulator

It is wonderful to see people continue to join our ranks. We are growing in numbers and moving up the team ranks by leaps and bounds. We are also adding some very strong individual folders who look like they’ll be pressing towards the top shortly. Many thanks go to all the people who continue to lend their CPU time and to all the newer folks. Welcome all. Good hunting to Brian_Smith, Darph_bobo, cleanX, and baiken, among others who are cranking out strong weekly totals and look to be moving up fast.

26. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

lol forgot i had virus scan in the background.....I guess that could eat up some energy. DUH!

27. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

So I just put it on my other comp and it is doing the same gromac as well...mean anything???? Are all three maybe sending different frames in? at any rate I am about to step out for the night so I wont be able to work on it til later tonight or manana.

28. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Ok this is how...shut the folding program down /enter my computer /your dirivehard drive (C) / program files/ folding at home/ ,,then there is a folder WORK open it remove the work unit information,,all the fiiles in folder delete...then close all open windows,remove from recycle bin,,before reststring the folding program,,restart the program,,will summen up a new work unit,,, ,,,,please advise if this works, Glenn

29. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

I have never doubled up !!! anyone else ?????????????????

30. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

well followed as per instruciones but when I double clicked to get the screen up (after i restarted folding) I lost my monitor input---I hate that feeling.. Anyway I shutdown then restarted and got the folding menu up and chose display, crossed my fingers, and no monitor problem but....it is doing the same WU again and I have zero frames done now---I deleted every file in the work folder so no clue.

fyi I am tripled up.

31. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Yep I've doubled up before. It mentions it on the folding site somewhere. You will get points for both just like it was two different ones.

Hey young-un you can't shut me up by talking about my age, I earned every one of these years. Can't say I'm proud of them all but I earned them :D And anyway I'm only old in experience I'm just upper middle aged in years. As opposed to being wet behind the ears like some other big boys I know. HEHEHEHEHEHEHE

32. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Never tripled up to my knowledge. I'd try deleting that last one again. Are you running console or the client version? You probably said already but I'm not as young as Eric and can't remember that long ago. :D

33. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

YIKES !!!!!! at this point at that ONE PC try a complete removaml of the folding program from add remove programs,,,after that delete the folding folder from program files,,redownload the client and see if you get a new unit,,please advise what OS and version of folding,,,there is a 5.03 beta that has many big fixes,,,are you running 5.02 ????? if so I will get the link for you to the beta 5.03, Glenn

LINK http://folding.stanford.edu/beta/winFAH503pre9.exe

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  34. jarcher

I found a tower on the side of the road
    figure I would fix it up just for folding

I see that alot someone locks up or crash's or even just a virus or something and they trash their pc

I am not currently folding something is a miss. . .it takes 3.62 sec forthe little box to come up when I turn off the computer
    I dont have that much background apps running

anyway. . .when I get that iron'd out I will uninstall it and install the beta

looking forward to the new core

35. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Hail to Destructo!
    (I love it when the new people post to say hi).

Hey guys, if Destructo downloaded all of the work units at the same time, maybe that would explain why he was given the same one?
    I would suppose that units are given out many times, to double check?

Anyway, you will be on the board in no time, cranking away.

Onward, team,
    Onward we go with new members! We grow in power! :)

36. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Where do I tell. I think that I am running the "graphical client" since it brings up the image of the protein and likes to reek havoc on my monitor connection.

at any rate I'm finally steppin out for the night ill catch up later tonight or tomorrow morning.

I downloaded the first one at least 2 hours before I got to my home comps.

37. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

right click on the flower in the taskbar and go to ABOUT tells version,

is graphical

38. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

dang it I just got done editing this beut of a reply when I found out my 5 mins were up.

anyway: uninstalled 502. installed 503 immediatly got a graphic driver conflict of some sort (no error mess. dont know if i have a log somewhere) but the monitor at least stayed online this time. Got to the display and.....and......and......antisipation............SAME DANG WU! I guess I am just cursed!

At that I take my leave and will check back either late tonight or in the morning.

thanks for all the post now and in the future!

39. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Maybe a silly question here but how do you know your getting the same unit. What are you looking at????

40. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Ok scratching head...at this point just let them run,,,,question though,,did you remove the folding folder after uninstall of the 5.02???,,,also if the video problem is ONLY on that PC,,somthing funky with the card,,,since I have been folding, never heard of any major graphic glitch as yours,,,some minor,,as the display up,,but no text,,,a missing flower with the program still running,,,but nothing to do with a complete conflict, have a good nite,,,and catch ya on the boards, Glenn

41. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Mgrist the graphical display shows,,,Glenn

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  42. jarcher

sorry glenn. . but I have benn waiting for this. . .

"I now pronounce you MR. and Mrs. Pacman"

carry on. . . . .

43. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Thanks Archer,,,PS a Message to all,,,I have been in contact with Jim (CP), one of the MG site owners,,when we hit the top 200,,,which at this point will be soon !!!,,,,,WE WILL HAVE A NEWS FLASH on the entry page to the MG site,:cool: ,lst time we had a News Flash, when I first built the webpage for the folding team,,,and CP..converted to the MG format, ,,,we gained almose 50 new members !!!! HERE we go again,,looking for another 50 LOL......It will launch us up in production !!!! :) :) and will hit the top 100 BEFORE CHRISTMAS;) ,,,,BTW we now have 90 people on our folding team,,,last I checked, Glenn

This is GOOD NEWS ALL !!!!

Within a week or 2 we will have the news flash, as we enter the top 200 ..GO TEAM !!!!!!!:) :) :)

44. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

OK MYSTERY SOLVED !!!!For me at least I think LMAO The work unit has subtext that changes,,,I was running

Project: 583 (Run 73, Clone 33, Gen 1)

NOW RUNNING SAME WU ID BUT SUB ID DIFFERANT !!!!!!!

Project: 583 (Run 73, Clone 66, Gen 1)

There are many varients to each WU,,,,.......LET THEM ALL RUN...and check your log file to see if you have differant sub strings,,,,,,,,Glenn

45. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

sorry error,,in looking at log files..this was last unit run

Project: 583 (Run 76, Clone 49, Gen 3)

46. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Morning (well afternoon actually) well took a look at my main comp when I got up and it actually wasnt folding! So I started the program and.........no monitor again. So I uninstalled the 503 (it seemed to crash my monitor more) and installed the 502 v. It loaded alright but when I chose to dispay it........BAM! No monitor. Anyway if anyone has 2 cents on it let me know. I'm going to try a newer driver or something.

47. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Afternoon

Sorry about monitor problems,,but think it may unrelated to folding..just an idea..do you have another monitor to give the PC a test with ???,,by changing would tell you if computer or monitor that is cause,,,also not sure about driver ,,guess you would have to look up your video card specks,,,,,also on that one PC how much ram installed,as well not sure why folding stopped,,you will work out the bugs,,its just a start up learning curve,,I have lost about 10 WU's since starting to fold,,,but we are in FL..and part was due to power surges and power loss due to hurricane's,,out of the 2 months folding,,I was down 11 days of power,,,

,Hope you are well, Glenn

glad I found answer to WU's doubling up !!!

48. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

The monitor is a 19" logitech VE175 b lcd. This is actually suppose to be my "good" comp. LOL I have had more problems with it then my old standby. I know I have to specs to handle the dang thing. Thats what I hate about comps...its always one stupid little thing that can throw the whole machine out of whack! Anyway I am not too worried about it because as long as I don't check the graphical display I should be fine.....a prob to keep on the back burner for now.

Glad to hear that you survived the Big Three! Out here it's the occassional 3.0 point shake or a tornado every 100 years not to mention no humidity!

49. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

How abot this go DL the text only console..can run as a service from the time PC is powered up to the time it shuts off runs in a dos window,,,,!!! and no visuals to worry about with that program,,look at the client type thread for further info !!!!! also must do a complete uninstall of the 5.02 to run the new software

Glenn

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38418

50. slider

slider Major Wise-***

Hey !! I finally got a WU finished - I'm on the list.

Now if I can get my Laptop set up also.... :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds