Forced to pick a new modem.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jkman, Jun 15, 2012.

1. jkman

jkman Private E-2

Hi everyone. I currently have Time Warner as my ISP and at the end of June, Time Warner will shut down my internet because our linksys modem is no longer supported by the manufacturer; unless we get a new one. So when looking for a new one, they gave us a list of approved modems:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Midwest/support/topic.ashx/Approved+Customer+Device+List

The thing is, i'm not sure which one to get. Two of the modems on this page have DOCSIS 3.0 and i'm not sure we even need that because our data speed is 10 Mbps. Isn't DOCSIS 3.0 for speeds of 30+ Mbps? I just don't know what specs to look for in a modem. Can you help? Thanks!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Might ask the tech. Currently not happy with them myself. I cant change password, they have router locked down. Other issues with consistent speed, etc. I would use what they suggest so you can blame them later. We are having trouble streaming Netflix, etc and we are paying for top tier internet plan. Time Warner. Ugh.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds