Forgot Admin Password/HOw do I open Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by shart@nucleus.com, May 21, 2010.

1. shart@nucleus.com

shart@nucleus.com Private E-2

Running XP SP3 and followed all your instructions on removing mal/adware, and couldn't beleive the difference in my speed and performance.

So the last step in avoidiing continued malware was not to use the administrative account while on web, so I created a User Account. Now I can't even install the income tax software as I have forgotten my administrative password which was set two years ago..

Is there anything I can do to bypass this?

Thx, Sue Hart
    "pissed at password in Canada"
    ------------
    Saw another posting suggesting to use "Safe Mode"/Control Panel/User Settings/ Change Administrator Password
    I Can't figure out how to get into Safe Mode - XP Support says Start/Shutdown/Restart/Select OS.. - choose F8 and select Safe Mode
    - no such option for XP

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

First question is, did you have an admin password? Try leaving it blank.

To get into SafeMode, tap the F8 key while the computer is booting. That should open a menu from which you can choose SafeMode. I don't think you can do that without the Admin password though.

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

4. shart@nucleus.com

shart@nucleus.com Private E-2

Hi GCWesq - thanx for the reply. It wouldn't let me leave blank, but I did notice that the Hint was same as my User Account with extra characters - so was able to access after all.. Thank you everyone, Sue

5. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Good work Sue. Thanks for update. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds