Format external Hard drive for Win 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by beezneez, Oct 26, 2009.

1. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Hi,
    I recently bought a new computer running Vista with a Windows 7 upgrade.
    I kept the old Hard drive from my XP machine with the intention of using it as an external hard drive. Before I go to windows 7 I want to back up all my info on the external HD so I will format it and then transfer data. Once I have done that and installed 7 and everything is working okay (hopefully) will I have to format the external Hard drive again to work with Windows 7? Logic tells me I should but I need direction.
    Thanks

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The short answer is NO

After formatting you can transfer all your data to the old drive but you need to understand that most if not all programs from XP will not work under Windows 7 although any files and documents will open just the same.

3. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

thanks for info. However I will be putting the data from my vista machine on the external HD, I should have done it befor e but have been too lazy and now I have to get down to it:)

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

With your Vista progs it's try it and see, many vista programs run on windows 7.

I have been using W7 for some months now (test version) and have just installed my full retail version, It's a great OS, much improved on Vista nd light years from XP.

I hope you enjoy it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds