Format external HDD (hard drive) into 1 partition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bennos, Oct 21, 2008.

1. bennos

bennos Private First Class

I am needing help with formating an external HDD into 1 partition.

I just got an external case for my (spare and sitting around doing nothing) 2.5" HDD, so now I have access to a 60Gb external HDD via USB. The problem is that it is currently split into 2 partitions and I want to re-format it as 1 partition only (as fat32). Can anyone please show me how to do this?

Thanks!!

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I don't have a spare HDD to format so I can remember exactly how it is done, but I can give you a general idea on the process. Note that different operating systems call partitions different things (Vista will call them volumes).

Keep in mind: This will delete all the information on your hard drive

Right click on "My computer" and click "manage". This should take you to the computer management screen. Look at the left, you should see an option that says "Disk Management"; Click on it. You should now see all of your HDD and partitions to the right. Find the Disk at the Middle-Bottom pane that represents the one you want to format. Right click on a partition and click "Delete Volume" (it may say delete partition, but the important thing is that you are deleting it). After deleting both partitions, the entire Disk should say Unallocated. At this point, you can right click in the unallocated part and select New Simple Volume or New partition or whatever it wants to call it. Follow the wizard, and you should end up with a new, empty, partition (don't forget to format)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds