format hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katcelata, Mar 29, 2009.

1. katcelata

katcelata Private First Class

I know this is simple, and I have done it before, but that was on my old computer and I don't have the instructions I saved. My buddy just called with a totally messed up system which he bought form someone. He has XP disks and needs to just wipe the hard drive and start fresh- how do i instruct him?

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

:)

This is if you are sure you want a "clean slate" (for XP):

1. Insert recovery disc (or disc 1) into CD-ROM drive. (You may have to re-start if you don't insert the disc quickly enough)

2. You will see "Press any key to boot from disc..." Do so as quickly as possible.

3. Windows Setup will load.

4. From the Setup menu, press ENTER.

5. It will examine your hard disk, then press F8 to agree and continue.

6. To delete a partition, select it with the arrow key and press D.

7. To confirm, press L.

8. Repeat to delete all partitions.

9. Select the partition to format on the hard disk ("Quick" isn't as thorough) with the NTFS file system.

10. Once format is complete, follow the instructions, and re-install Windows.

Depending on which Service Pack your OS recovery discs are will determine how long it takes to update it. As well as connection speed, processor speed, and installed memory. Once you have Windows ready to go, use Microsoft update, downloading and installing updates until your version is current, making sure to create restore points before you install each service pack.

Also, visit your manufacturer's website for the latest drivers available.

Any additional questions, feel free to post!

P.S. Just for reference, do you have your buddy's system specs?

3. katcelata

katcelata Private First Class

Thanks hon'- seems we have lift off Houston. It just seems that he was not making the right choices when re-installing XP- he didn't know what to do when it got to the partition choices- your walk thru helped me walk him through- this was all on the phone. I don't have his system info, I just know it is an old, beat upon system from my office, that probably has very few legs under it at this point. (he is our caretaker, and got stuck with this soon to be doa system, he has been beefing it with pieces from his Mom's old system, such as memory sticks, etc.) The guy is really cool tho, he has a really dive in and do it attitude to computer fixin'! He bastardized the old system and stucks sticks of memory in here and there- Ya gotta love it! He's a Skiddoo mechanic- they just get up and go. No fears. I try to teach elderly people how to use computers and they are so verklempt- if they could just see it as a mechanical prospect like this dude does, they would be easier to teach, like just fixing everyday stuff- they see it as something magical and fearful, and that makes it really hard to teach them. It would be so much easier if I could get them to see it as an everyday thing like changing the spark plugs on their car.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I do the whole "bastardized" thing myself for people. I affectionately call them "Frankencomputers". :)

Oh, and you're welcome!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds