Format my laptop with Recovery cd

Discussion in 'Software' started by dangerstevie, Feb 28, 2009.

1. dangerstevie

dangerstevie Private E-2

I have a Samsung X11 notebook and all of the original CD's that came with it. I have formatted and re-installed everything before from these CD's but i cannot remember how i did it. I have put the CD into the drive and rebooted the laptop, it just loads windows and doesn't give me any options to format or anything. I have tried pressing F12 for network boot. There is no option for CD boot. Can someone please help me, im getting really stressed with this now lol.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I believe that you will have to go into your BIOS and change the boot order. There should be something on your initial screen, when starting the PC, that says press F? key for setup. The question mark would be whatever is displayed on your screen, and it is usually at the bottom.

As you said that you have all the CD's, meaning more than one, please be sure that you are putting the right one in. They are generally labeled as to what the CD contains, such as OS/System recovery, installed software, etc.

Hope this helps! :)

3. dangerstevie

dangerstevie Private E-2

I have been into the cmos and configured the laptop to boot from CD first, then removable media, then hdd. When i reboot the laptop with the CD in i head the cd spin-up but it doesn't give me any options to boot from CD, it simply loads windows. (much slower than it does without the CD in)

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

This brings up another question or two. Does Windows fully load and function, and if so, why do you wish to reformat and restore? :)

5. dangerstevie

dangerstevie Private E-2

i have a problem with windows loading (detailed in my thread in malware removal) and i cant be bothered with it anymore, its slow and very annoying. I figured a full format and reinstall with only what i need on there would be much easier and better. I have tried the other cd's in my laptop and it reads them perfectly. so i am figuring the restore CD has gone bump.

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I see that you didn't finish your thread in the Malware Removal forum. Any specific reason why? Before giving up on your restore CD, try it in another computer and see if it works. Just exit before it does anything!

My advice would be to finish your thread in the Malware Removal forum, as the people there are extremely good at what they do. For the most part, you won't receive any advice/help in the Software forum, if you have an open thread in the Malware Removal forum about the same problem! The code generator that you mentioned could be causing the problem that you are experiencing. :)

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

With your laptop open running Windows, if you insert the restore CD and try to open the CD drive in My Computer can the contents of the CD be seen?

I looked around at Samsung but the X11 is an Asian model and it is difficult to find the manual here in the U.S. The Np-x11 has two CDs one for loading XP (bootable) and then one for drivers and software (not bootable). Not sure if this is relevant to your situation but how is the CD you are trying to boot from labeled?

8. dangerstevie

dangerstevie Private E-2

No it just spins up the CD for a few seconds then the computer runs extremely slowly (takes about 5-10mins to do anything at all!).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds