Formating A Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bob D., Mar 17, 2017.

1. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

I have a computer I want to get rid of. Would a reinstall of windows format the HDD well enough
    to keep naughty people away from my "stuff?"
    If I really need to format more better,:D please suggest how. I really do not want to bother with
    removing the HDD.

Computer is:
    All in one.
    Win 7 Pro. 64-bit
    256 GB Crucial SSD

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  3. Bob D.

Internal solid-state drives: Solid-state drives use a feature called TRIM. When you delete a file from a solid-state drive, the operating system informs the drive that the file was deleted. The drive then erases the file’s data from its memory cells. This is done to speed things up—it’s faster to write to empty cells—but it has the benefit of ensuring files you delete from internal SSDs can’t be recovered. An Excerpt from an artical.
    If I understand the article, I have "no worries" :D. The one and only drive in the computer is an SSD. :D A format at reinstall will do the trick. :D
    Thank you for answering.

4. Bob D.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That's great. If it doesn't have any other drive on it, like a Data HD, then that's fine.

6. Bob D.

No other drive. :D:D

7. Anon-c1150d5334

Anon-c1150d5334 Anonymized

8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

If you want to scorch a drive and reinstall Windows, a thorough running of Darik's Boot and Nuke usually does the job. Fair warning, it can take time depending on the size of the hard drive cache, and it's spindle speed. Older and slower drives will take longer, sometimes overnight or longer.

But, you specified HDD in your first paragraph, and SSD in your system specs.

Not sure how a run of boot and nuke would affect the drive's lifespan. Most likely in a negative fashion. Your best bet is most likely to shred the files before formatting and reinstalling the OS.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds